We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris in Dec

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Paris in Dec

Hi Everyone

I'm very excited about this first trip to Paris and also to Europe. Coming from hot & humid Singapore, I would like to really experience Paris as much as I could.

I'll be arriving from London on 21 Dec and will be staying for 4 nights.

How is the atmosphere in Dec? Are there any Christmas markets or lights-up? There's so many places to visit and what should I not miss? What are the opening hours for shopping? What should I pack? What's the weather like?

Your views would really help me.....Thanks!

Detaille
Gift & Speciality Shops
Christian Louboutin
Gift & Speciality Shops
Maison Verot
Gift & Speciality Shops
Crocojazz
Gift & Speciality Shops
Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris in Dec

Don't miss the department store holiday displays on Boulevard Haussmann.

Lawndale, California
Level Contributor
665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris in Dec

I saw this on the Paris Tourisme website re: Christmas markets. Look like they start Dec. 4:

While Paris is getting decked out in all its befitting seasonal finery, the traditional Christmas markets are opening throughout the French capital: from the place Saint-Germain-des-Prés to place de la Nation passing by place Saint-Sulpice etc. Pedestrians are invited to come and stroll among the decorated wooden chalets and stalls and discover original art and craft objects, Christmas decorations, and tasty and regional products etc. in a festive, magical and convivial atmosphere. Set aside a few hours for a little escapade and you are sure to find some unusual gift ideas and products to concoct delicious feasts.

Also, check out the Champs Elysees which should be lit up, as well as Galeries Lafayette and Au Printemps. I've also heard that there's an ice skating rink outside Hotel de Ville, but I'm not sure when that starts.

Have fun!

Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris in Dec

In December it is freezing, my kids had chocolate bars in their pockets and nearly broke their teeth when thay went to eat them as they were frozen so make sure you have thermals and a warm coat.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris in Dec

I don't mean to be pessimist. Dec weather in Paris is pretty depressing. It is cold, gray, rainy. The worst aspect of this weather is the gray and glommy. Just so depressing. Maybe I have SAD (Seasonal Affect Disorder). If it is cold, one can always wear a coat or layers, the gloomy is just very depressing. Nevertheless, if you already decided to vist Paris around this time, make the most out of it.

Gallery LaFayette and other department stores have wonderful light displays plus some other special Christmas displays. And of course, hot wine and roasted chestnuts, something that you dont find in Singapore.

What you should pack? As you said, you are coming from the hot and humid Singapore, I suppose that there is not much of warm clothing articles you can get back home. Rather, have a budget for some nice and warm clothes once you are in Europe. In general, you will need a coat, gloves, an umbrella, a scarf. Thermals is needed if you do not tolerate the cold weather well like me.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris in Dec

Don't be too worried about the weather. It IS cold. I took a hooded parka and thermal underwear when I went in December 2003. Yes, it was cold and sometimes it rained. But you're in PARIS. I despise the cold weather and I was up by 8:00 am every morning (I'm also not a morning person), absolutely thrilled to be there. I agree that if you can't get cold weather gear where you are, you should budget for some when you get to Paris, because you will need it. I think the city is still absolutely beautiful, though. I'm going back this year on 27 December. I'm not sure about shopping hours b/c both times I've been just AFTER Christmas. There were still lots of lights and lovely displays up then, though.

6. Re: Paris in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 14:20