We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

After reading different Paris Guidebooks, there seems to be different information regarding on getting to Versailles.

We are staying on Rue Cherche Midi.

Rick Steve's Guide says to take the RER Train(we will have Le Passport)from any of the following stops:"Gare d Austerlitz, St. Micheal, Musee d' Orsay, Invalides, Pont de l'Alma and Champ de Mars" I am thinking that the Musee d' Orsay is the closest stop to our apartment.

Frommer's guide says take a train from Gare Montparnasse or Gare St-Lazare to Versailles.

Which guide is correct/more efficient?

Thanks

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
482 reviews
from US$72.30*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.40*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
577 reviews
from US$46.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$332.80*
USA
Level Contributor
28,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

RER 'C-5' ligne train...(any 'C' train heading in the direction of Versailles-Rive Gauche...with a four-letter 'V xxx..' designation) to the end-of-the-ligne at VERSAILLES-Rive Gauche station (r.t. RER fare--5,80€...approx. 34 min from MUSÉE d'ORSAY station...'C-5 ligne train frequency is 1-every 15-minutes during most of the day and evening) ...then a pleasant 10 minute stroll to the gates of the chateau.

To save time, you can purchase a FORFAIT LOISIRS CHATEAU DE VERSAILLES pass at the RER station, which includes the r.t RER ticket and entry.admission ticket to Chateau de Versailles--

transilien.com/web/…en

Level Contributor
3,498 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

I agree, take the RER C to Versailles-Rive Gauche ( you can see the destinations of the trains on the overhead signs on the platforms). It's an easy trip...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

We took the train from St. Michel RER stop. I highly recommend purchasing the FORFAIT LOISIRS (Train & Chauteau ticket). I was amazed at the ticket lines at the Chateau. We walked right past all the lines and waited only a few short minutes to get through the security lines.

Farmington Hills, MI
Level Contributor
311 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

If I have the museum pass, would I still be advised to purchase the train/Versailles combo ticket? I thought Versailles was included in the museum pass. Thanks in advance..

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

Versailles IS on the museum pass so you don't have to buy the combination ticket.

We got RER C from the Musee D'Orsay stop. It was an easy 35 minute to Versailles from there.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

We were just at Versailles the weekend before last. The museum pass covered everything except the little tram that takes you around the gardens, and the charge for entering the gardens (normally free) since we were there on a weekend for Lex Grandes Eaux (well worth it IMO--it makes a huge difference to see the gardens as they were intended with the fountains flowing).

The RER was easy and quick. Just make sure you get on a train that has a V in the destination as per the Rick Steves book (e.g., VICK). Also, our ticket seller at the RER window was helpful--advised us, not the next train but the one after that.

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

I suppose the same travel times are applicable going to Versailles from the 7th on Rue Champ de Mars. I'm guessing we should take the train from the same named station. Is that correct?

Thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

Bambam, I'd look at a map to confirm that's in fact the closest RER station to your hotel (or ask when you get there) but yes, the travel times will be about the same as the stops in central Paris are just a minute or two from each other.

USA
Level Contributor
28,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

There are several RER 'C' ligne stations along the Left Bank. It would behoove you to look at any good street map of Paris (you've already got one, right??...it's not as if you're not going to need one once you arrive) and find the location of your accommodations and then find the location of the closest RER station to your accommodations....or you can use one of the on-line Paris map services frequently recommended here.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Versailles from 6th Arr?

A couple of years ago we took a bus tour of Giverny and Versailles which turned out to be a long but very rewarding day. It did not require advance booking so it may be worth considering at the last minute. I don't remember it being very expensive and we saw all we needed to see including the American Museum in Giverny, an unexpected delight.