We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage and Switching Airlines?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage and Switching Airlines?

I'm finding a good airfare flying in and out of CDG, but wanted to fly home from NCE.

Air France has a good rate from NCE to CDG. What happens to baggage if I fly Air France from NCE to CDG, then US Air to Philly on the same day?

Would I have to collect baggage in CDG then recheck it in at US Air?

Anyone have experience doing this?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage and Switching Airlines?

<<<What happens to baggage if I fly Air France from NCE to CDG, then US Air to Philly on the same day?>>>

At CDG, your luggage will automatically be transfered from Air France to US Air for your flight to Philadelphia. You'll reclaim your luggage in Philadelphia before passing through customs there.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage and Switching Airlines?

Kewl,

Would I then check in for the US Air flight at the gate counter?

Thanks

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage and Switching Airlines?

I forgot to clarify that I'd book these tickets independently. Doesn't appear that Air France and US Air work together.

US Air combines with Lufthansa for NCE but the price is $200 more than booking US Air and Air France separately.

USA
Level Contributor
28,180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage and Switching Airlines?

Your checked baggage SHOULD be checked directly through from your inbound AIR FRANCE flight from NCE at CDG #2-F to your outbound US AIR flight to PHL from CDG #1....but since the tickets may be booked separately, rather than as a portion of a single, connecting-flight itinerary, you need to check with Air France DIRECTLY.

From your AF #2-F arrival terminal, you will need to make your way across to CDG #1, via the free CDGVAL shuttle/train (CDGVAL station is located (inter-connectted) between CDG #2-F and the TGV/RER train to CDG #1 and check-in with US Air for your outbound flight.

CDG #2-E&F Terminal Diagram--

aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/Resources/75a0868c-4…

CDG has a long and well deserved infamy for unconscionable delays and difficulties in making connections...so allow yourself sufficient time between scheduled arrival and departure.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage and Switching Airlines?

Buying tickets independently for each leg of your trip can be very dangerous. If you for any reason do not arrive at CDG with sufficient time to check in for your US Air flight, you will lose your ticket to PHL. Remember, you'll need time to arrive near scheduled arrival time, deplane, collect your luggage, transfer to terminal 1, check in at US Air, pass through security, and find the boarding gate.

If you do not have at least 3-4 hours planned on the ground at CDG (time between flights), you do not have sufficient time to reasonably guard against the unknown.

Not checking luggage will make this a great deal simpler.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage and Switching Airlines?

Just because Air France and US Air arent in an alliance doesnt mean they dont have a ticketing arrangement where one can issue boarding passes for the other and check your bag through. Its worth calling US Air's and/or Air France's 800# to check before booking separate tickets.

And, I fly on separate tickets (when airlines dont have ticketing arrangements - like American to Winair in St Maarten to get to St Barth) all the time with no trouble - just make sure to leave plenty of time between flights.

7. Re: Baggage and Switching Airlines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 20:37