We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
1 post
Save Topic
sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

Hi, I am going to Paris for 10 days starting the 5th of November. I am going alone, although I will be spending some time with friends over there. I have booked a studio in Anvers especially because it was near Montmartre.

Although I will be spending some time alone sightseeing and just discovering the city, any suggestions of places which are not exactly touristy, but still very Parisian?

Also, how easy is it to walk from Anvers to around the Latin Quarter?

Is it safe to walk around alone in the early night?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

It's quite a hike from Monmartre to the Latin Qtr. Not to say it can't be done, it's just a long walk. But you'd likely find it an interesting one as well. I've never done it, I've always taken the metro.

How about taking a cooking class? Or walking the Viaduct des Artistes? I've been to Paris alone and I wasn't the least bored just walking the city by myself. You'll love it!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

I think seeing Paris is better done alone except when it comes to eating at nicer restaurants. Museum vists, for example, are difficult as people don't always have the taste in arts.

Paris is generally very safe. Certain parts of Paris look threatening because of certain type of residents who live there. They are not at all dangerous. As a women and a tourist, you should always take precaution as you would in London.

As for walking, it is always possible to walk from Anvers to Latin Quarter. I walk pretty much everywhere whenever I am in Paris. Considering the cold weather, I am not sure walking from Ansver to Latin Quarter is a good thing to do. If you like to walk while you are in Paris, a good map is a must. "Paris Pratique" would do.

As for non-touristy things to do, I am afraid that there are lots of guide books and many savvy travellers are also recommending and visiting less touristy places, respectively. Therefore, there are always some sort of tourists around. To me the least Parisian place is the Champs Elysees area. Arc de Triomphe itself in an exception of that area.

Bon Voyage!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,206 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

One of the Paris Walks...

http://www.paris-walks.com/

...is the village of Montmartre. This would be a good way to get acquainted with the area.

Pjk

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

I love to do Paris on my own, no catering to others agendas or tastes,, you are lucky you will have some time to socialize with freincds and lots of time to be alone too! The best of both worlds.

I personally would not choose to stay near MM, as I do prefer more central areas, but of course you can take the metro anywhere in 5 minutes ( it seems) , and walking is great fun, as long as it is not pouring rain I suppose!

Sidestreets with not much on them are "not touristy" ,, LOL, but other then that forget it, Paris is a world class, and world famous city filled with amazing sites, musuems, history ,art,and architecture , don't kid yourself that you are the only one who seeks " non touristy but Parisian areas" EVERYONE does!!! But, since I have relatives that live there I can assure you there are such places, but they are usually residental neighborhoods, or little side streets that have no particular site on them or near them, to find them, just wander around, take a day or two with no agenda, and just walk.

Everywhere in Paris is Parisian, since well, its Paris, but I concur with poster who suggests least "Parisian" area is Champs Elysees,, since stores like GAP, Disney, and McDonalds scream " American" not "Parisian " to me.

Most central touristy areas are safe to walk around alone in evening. Take obvious precaustions, no long dark alleys alone late a night. My 12 yr old and I felt very safe wandering around many areas as late as midnight, and on my own I find if I stick to the "busy" areas I never felt unsafe. In a way I felt safer from pickpockets as being alone makes you look like less of a tourist as you are not chatting to your travel partner in english. I tend to route out my metro routes etc before I leave hotel or cafe so that when I am walking along I don't have that baffled "where am I ?" look on my face.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
373 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

I have travelled to paris alone several times. And mostly it's fabulous...The hardest times have been the evenings at the hotel. You may avoid that by being in an apartment.

As job one, I'd try to find a friendly local cafe where you start and/or end every day. People will recognize you quickly and will give you a sense of camraderie.

If you bring a book, you can alternate between reading and people watching.

I've eaten alone in a lot of restaurants, but my favorite is called Savannah on rue descartes. (I've posted a review). If you go on the early side, the owner, Richard will make you feel at home. The food is good and reasonably priced, he usually has great music playing and it's a lot of fun (he makes a mean mojito).

As for personal safety, use common sense. I've been out and about alone, but do keep an eye out. Try not to make a big show of guidebooks or maps, but I've never had an issue.

Parc Monceau is a beautiful place (not sure what it's like in November) that is very parisian and beautiful.

Another restaurant, in the shadow of the Pompidou, that I find nice and frequented by almost all parisians is Pain, Vin, Fromage http://www.painvinfromage.com/uk/fromage.htm . You should reserve ahead, though, as I have been shut out. It's exactly what it says...

And get to know the metro -- it makes the trips easier.

ipswich england
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

I consider myself very fortunate to go to Paris on my own. I consider it a far less threatening city to walk about in during the evening than London.

The suggestion of using Paris Walks

http://www.paris-walks.com/ is an excellent one, you will meet like minded people and have a couple of hours company and sometimes a good eating recommendation. And, in addition, will be sure to see and learn things you would never find by yourself.

Anvers to Latin Quarter is a good hike, look at the map, only you know your walking capabilities. It is reputed that you are never further than 500 metres from a Metro station anywhere in the city, but using the buses is a better experience.

Get stuck in and have fun!.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,224 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

Take the metro. Unlike London it organises lines by the final station at each end so you would take line y, direction xxx. As you come to the underground tunnels to the platforms they list all the stations on the line as they do on the Underground. Changing at interchanges is similar to what you already know.It really is easy and makes the whole of Paris accessible.

8. Re: sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 January 2009, 05:48
9. Re: sightseeing alone in Paris - Any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 22:17