We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tours in paris and london once I get there

Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
tours in paris and london once I get there

We are going to paris and London in March. Once we get there how do I set up with a tour to see the main sites of the city? We don't want to do it on our own. We like a tour guide to get us to all the places and take care of admissions and to tell us information about the sites. Anyone have any recommandations?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tours in paris and london once I get there

Citydrama on rue des pyramides offers some tours. I never use any of the citydrama tours as the Lonely Planet guide book does more than a fine job of explaining the stories behind the sights.

Rick Steves book for Paris is also great. I think you will get more out of Paris if you use guidebooks and explore on your own. If you have only two or three days for Paris, then it might make sense to have a tour guide.

Bon Voyage!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,121 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tours in paris and london once I get there

We've gone on most of the Paris-Walks tours...

http://www.paris-walks.com/

They are approximately 2 hours long, 10 euros pp and the guides speak English. You simply pick the one you want for that morning or afternoon and show up at the appropriate metro stop where the tour begins. We've found it a good way to get to know many of the areas and some of their history.

hth

Pjk

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tours in paris and london once I get there

For London, once you get there, Original London Walks is a first rate organization. In addition to walks around various parts of London, they have Explorer Days, which include trips to Hampton Court, Oxford, Stonehenge, and various other spots.

Go to www.londonwalks.com for more information.

Georgia
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tours in paris and london once I get there

I understand your desire to use a tour company as I was the same way when I went last spring. We used Cityrama and were very happy with them. However if I had known how easy it is to get around in Paris once you get your bearings I would not have done the tours, except probably the hop-on-hop-off bus. Did that in London and it was great. A good guide book or pod-cast on your ipod, a good street map and metro map and you are good to go. You can find good recommendations for these by searching here. Now, that being said, tours have certain advantages also, like they drop you off right at Sacre Coeur and you don't have to climb those steps and if you go to Moulin Rouge late show it's nice being picked up at the door and taken right to your hotel when it is very late at night.

Enjoy your trip which ever you decide.

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tours in paris and london once I get there

Just a detail re former post, for Montmartre a tour by car/mini van can take you all the way up to Montmartre, not a tour by large coach/ bus as buses are not allowed up the hill.

las vegas,
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tours in paris and london once I get there

jeanamaria..I'm going and paris for the 2nd time in 12 months next May, and I was exhausted just getting to the museums using public transportastion. There are English speaking tours scheduled inside the Louvre and D'Orsay. This time I am taking a taxi to the museum, and then booking their scheduled tour. I am definitely going to book guided tours with transportation for Eiffel Tower with dinner and Seine Cruise, Monet's home in Giverney, the walking tour of Monmarte

Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tours in paris and london once I get there

that sounds like what I am looking for. What tour company are you booking with? Where are you staying?

8. Re: tours in paris and london once I get there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 18:23