We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy High Airfare Prices

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Crazy High Airfare Prices

Hello,

I'm looking to plan a week-long trip to Paris (from Washington DC) over Christmas (around the 19th to the 27th or so).

All of the sites that I've checked have non-stop fares starting at no less than $1500 per person!

I've never seen fares this high. Does anyone know what's going on? Will things go down if I keep waiting? Although I am running out of time.

Thanks for any input!

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
422 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

My guess is they'll only rise from here. Transatlantic airfares are quite high right now. Your best bet is to 1) buy early; 2) settle for a connecting flight.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

Loko, "Does anyone know what's going on?",

Its one of the busiest and most desirable travel periods of the year, all schools are closed, teachers are off, you get a few days off for Holidays, even with a bad economy.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,572 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

Aren't flights always expensive over holidays??

I found an old invoice from a trip I took to Paris in 1985. From Vancouver, British Columbia to Paris France,, 1095.oo dollars. And it was partly shoulder season. I think we all got spoiled by the deals that have been around last few years, but it looks like tide is changing.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

Joan 1, Yes, Christmas flights out of New York are usually high 11 months early. The cheapest day to fly within the US is either on Christmas day or the day of Christmas eve.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

I doubt they will go down much from this point. It's only a few weeks away. It's a high fare because that is most popular time to travel. Would imagine many hotels are also booked. Sorry, but unless you book in advance or go during non-peak times, you are bound to pay top dollar.

USA
Level Contributor
27,318 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

As noted, The Christmas/New Year holiday is a heavy travel period....for Paris as well as other places...and if you're only just now checking airfares for this period, your VERY late to the game. More than likely all of the lower priced seats sold-out months ago. Check the airfare for a similar itinerary in January or February....and the prices drop by 1/2-to-1/3 of a Christmas/New Year itinerary.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,034 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

Have a look at www.1800flyeurope.com

You can tell the airlines, by the flight times and connections, or just give them a call. They are excellent on the phone. I always book with them by phone anyway. They'll hold your reservation for 24 hours for your review, or to give you a chance to shop like the dickens for a better fare.

I agree that between now and your dates fares are more likely to go up than down. Fares are always high over the holidays, and the airlines have cut their schedules so there are fewer seats.

Montreal
Level Contributor
152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

Ive been checking for a friend and up to 2 weeks ago, the price hike really started to hit if you were booking the 19th-friday- and on ward.

Now it looks like the curve upward starts on the tuesday. I'm assuming it's because planes are filling up.

Dublin, Georgia
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

Try Air Canada. I booked a ticket to Paris two weeks ago on a Wednesday afternoon at 5pm leaving the next morning from Atlanta and only paid $1000 per ticket. There were fares on the consolidators for around $700 for the same flights. Because of my circumstances, I ended up going thru my travel agent instead of orbitz or expedia. The Air Canada website also had the fares for around $700.

This was my first Air Canada flight - and I loved it!!! Delta tickets were almost $3000 for the last minute flights.

You will have a layover in Toronto, but for the money its worth it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crazy High Airfare Prices

I always book my flight on orbitz.com. They are the best since they mix and match carriers to find the cheapest rates. We're going to Paris from Houston December 2nd and I was able to find our tickets for $670pp.

The cheapest flights are Tuesday - Thursday. I just checked December 18th to December 30th and there were flights for $900 and $1000. The $900 has a very tight layover (45 minutes) but the $1000 has a much better schedule.

Good Luck!!