We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me where to go: the 2008 Paris edition!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
35 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me where to go: the 2008 Paris edition!

So it's time for my annual trip abroad, this time I'm off to Paris (from just a couple of days before Christmas to a day or two after new years - which will be awesome). Of course I'm going to hit all the highlights, the Eiffel Tower (duh), Notre Dame, The Louvre and so on - but I'm always on the lookout for something that might get overlooked, something I cant miss. Something that may not show up in the guide books.

And - a couple of questions for the seasoned travelers and/or locals. I'd like to take a day trip over to the Normandy D-Day beaches - is that do-able in a day? I don't expect to see the whole French coastline, but a couple of the highlights would be nice

Also - eurodisney. I love the irony of going to France and sampling the European perception of Americana. Is it worth going, or should I save my time and money and skip it (for a point of reference, Seattle is only a couple hours flight away from Disneyland, so if the Euro experience isn't all that different from the domestic version, I won't bother)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me where to go: the 2008 Paris edition!

Don't miss Saint Chapelle, on Ile de la Cite. You can do this the same day you go to Notre Dame Cathedrale. Saint Chapelle has an admission fee, not too expensive. After you enter the chapel, go up the small staircase. You will see the most magnificant stain glass !!! It's a don't miss.

I wouldn't waste time at EuroDisney when there are so many more interesting day trips you can take.

There is a great day trip, that leaves from Montparnasse train station at 7:a.m. to Brittany. A driver in a mini van picks you up. You spend a few hours in 3 places: Dinan, St. Malo and Mont St. Michel. You get a walking map and a time to be back at the van. Then back to the train at Rennes, at 7:00 p.m. Magnificant day!

Other day trip: Reims - to see the Cathedrale and visit a champagne house such as Taittenger.

There are many companies that do day trips. They all have similar type trips and rates.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,746 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me where to go: the 2008 Paris edition!

Don't bother with Disney, I have done the one in La and Euro Disney. There is no cultural difference( that I could see), except you can get alcoholic drinks in Euro Disney. Besides, how fun if ED in the rain and cooler temps, it is winter after all.

D Day beaches are doable in one day on a big bus tour,, ( Cityrama, or ParisVisions, both well known and reputable) but very expensive, and LONG days, start at 6 back in town by 9 or later,, and lots of driving, of course, since you do not have to do the driving you can nap. No one will ever supportthe idea of a day trip as being a good one though, , as really the area is worth at least an overnight, but, fact is not everyone has the extra time, so the bus tours are an option.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me where to go: the 2008 Paris edition!

Consider a train trip to Chartres and see the Cathedral there. Simply beautiful. There is an English guide who gives tours twice a day on how to "read" a cathedral, understanding the stained glass and carvings. He is very, very good. Then wander into the medieval village below and have a look at the lovely architecture there.

4. Re: Tell me where to go: the 2008 Paris edition!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 01:16