We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Travel Laptop Computer

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Good Travel Laptop Computer

I understand that this question might be a bit too general for this board, but I am looking for something reliable, light, and durable for my next trip. It would definitely help if we could keep the cost down too.

Any suggestions?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

compusa.com/applications/…

www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp…

Bought one and took it to Paris in Oct/Nov08. Love it, very light, clear screen, good wireless, good performance/speed, great memory, 2-3 USB slots, webcam etc etc. I use it at home as a spare in the den while hubby trolls TV stations.

Bought a DVD player case/bag for it and the charger cord, security lock, earphones...

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

The new 13 inch screen MacBook is very easy to use, very reliable if you don't mind using an Apple computer (you did not mention if you were PC or Mac)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

Do a Google for "netbook"... almost every manufacturer makes one now. In general they have 8 to 10 inch screens and either a hard drive or a flash drive for

storage. Hard to say whose is best... a lot depends

on your own preferences. Most come with Win XP, some

with Linux.

Do a bit of reading and bash a few keyboards when you

see them in stores.

I have a year old AsusEEE which is one of the earliest of the netbooks. My daughter took it to France this

summer and had no problems connecting.

Rob

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

We've traveled with [the older version of] the 13 inch Apple MacBook for several years and found it the easiest and most elegant laptop, especially in the way Apple handles WIFI integration and the simplicity of connecting when you need to. I've travelled with several Toshiba and HP laptops in the past and am fluent in MS Windows but the Mac is MUCH easier to travel with.

During the last two journeys into the south of France, we brought only our new 3G iPhone. I wasn't expecting it to be as useful as a MacBook but it was that - and more.

I had complete coverage of several email accounts, nearly full browser functionality to the web, and map/GPS features that I never had before. The best thing was that I carried it around in my pocket and didn't need to lock it up at the hotel.

Free WIFI was available almost everywhere we went in the south, even small cities. And yes, I realize people from countries outside of France may incur data roaming charges that can be freakishly expensive but I had Data-Roaming turned off the entire two weeks and the WIFI connectivity was more than enough.

The downside was, every time an email arrived, it buzzed in my pocket and I was reminded that "you have mail". At least with the MacBook, that was left for the end of the day. I could have turned that off but for some reason, my fingers just won't do it...

At this point, I'd recommend an iPhone or, if you're a solid PC person, a Blackberry or equivalent. A laptop can be a bit of a ball-and-chain when you travel. The recent experience with the iPhone convinced me that I don't need the laptop.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

There are a rash of new netbooks coming out. Check out dell's mini 9:

http://tinyurl.com/6mpeqy

HP has some that look quite sturdy. Also see the Ausus eeepc's mentioned and also Lenovo models.

Be aware, rumors are that Apple will be releasing a netbook soon. No release date.

I also completely agree that an iPhone, if it meets your needs, is the perfect travel tool. If composing text is part of your routine, get a netbook.

Be certain to turn off data roaming on the iPhone when traveling outside your service area. I have a jailbroken iPhone and use an ATT pay-as-you-go sim card. So that means wifi only and it's still the most useful gadget I own. I will have access to basically, all of my research once we're in the field.

Come back if you develop more questions.

chuck.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,681 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

Unless you plan on doing lots of typing, consider an ipod touch. I just got one, it's cheaper than an iphone (I already have a nice phone) and as convenient for the internet. Husband always takes his MacBook pro.

Rosario, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

Hi pixfield,

As I don´t like "mini" laptops, I feel very comfortable with my HP Pavilion tx1030. It is quite light, reliable, and I have a real keyboard, to write (no to touch). Yes, I´m old fashioned.

Bye.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

Thanks for all of your responses.

I will need something with a good-sized keyboard, since I need to update my website and send all my trip reports to TA. But then again, I want something real light.

USA
Level Contributor
27,355 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

You work in a place that probably sees more in the way of technological variety than most. Try taking a stroll through a student lounge area, dorm or lecture hall on camous and look around at what the kids are using...and ask some what they like and don't like about the portable systems they're using---size, weight, features (RAM, hard-drive size,**BATTERY LIFE**, etc.) Many will be delighted to give you a hands-on demonstration of features, functions and benefits of varying systems....get a hands-on comparison of Apple to PC. Some kids love to turn the tables and teach the teacher.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Travel Laptop Computer

I retired so had to return my work laptop. So I bought my new one with travel in mind as well as using it as my primary computer when I came home. We are looking at May 2008 as my buying date.

I got the Toshiba Satellite Notebook with 2GB memory, windows Vista, weighs in at 2kg, 1ft wide and 9inches high. We used it for all emailing, sometimes wireless if the hotel had that, but we took a cable as well. Has a touch pad but we also had a mouse. Has a web cam but I never used it. Has an internal DVD which some Macs don't and we used that to cut DVDs of our considerable number of photos as a back up.

I use it all the time now, and its only problem is that the screen colours and print colours are not the same. I have been advised that you really can't colour calibrate a laptop accurately for photographic work. So for photoprinting work I can transfer files to our desktop computer.

I am very happy with it and will take it to Italy/Spain in 2009.