We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Topic
Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

Hello,

My husband, myself and our 20 month old daughter are going to Paris in July 09 on our first overseas trip as a family.

We are looking to rent an apartment as we'll be staying 2-3 weeks. I have spent many hours over the past week looking through thousands of websites and am getting a bit overwhelmed with choice.

If anyone can recommend an agency or apartment that would be greatly appreciated.

Essentially we are looking to stay in the 6th, 3rd or 4th area. I heard that Luxembourg gardens are a must for the little ones.

Our budget is up to 850 euros per week.

Also, I have been dealing with Paris Attitude who appear professional but I am not comfortable with their high deposits. Has anyone had any good/bad experience in getting their deposit back?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,322 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

My experience in renting apartments in France and Italy is that the deposit is non-refundable. You pay the money to ensure that the apartment is reserved for you. If you change your mind, too bad.

It follows that you should take out travel insurance as soon as you pay the deposit, so as to be covered if some accident prevents you from travelling.

An agency that we have used for renting a Paris apartment is Apartment Paris: www.apartmentparis.fr

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

We used Paris pied a terre in 2006 and we got our deposit back and all was fine. Try Paris best lodge I almost used them and they get great reviews. I believe they have apartments in the 3,4 or 6th in your price range. Also, We paid all of the rent by pay pal before we left AND gave them a personal check for the deposit which we got back. I was very nervous, but Paris Pied a Terre was very professional.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

If you're considering the 3rd or 4th, then Vivre à Paris have a good choice in that area.

vivreaparis.com/Shared/…

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

We did not find the agency apartmentparis.fr helpful for fixing anything wrong. I note that our apartment, Balzac, is listed with at least three agencies at differing prices, from 926E with apartmentparis to 1056 with goletworld to 1610 with welcometofrance. We found it to be only superficially clean, with paint peeling off the walls in the bathroom and soap grime everywhere on the blue tiles, not enough linen (they did send some more) and grubby and stained upholstery and spare duvets and pillows. The location and space were fantastic.

The best thing is to go with agencies recommended as reputable and where possible, don't pay the final payment until you have seen the apartment. This cannot always be managed.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Balzac
Hotel Balzac
478 Reviews
Paris, France
Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I read lots of good things about Feels like home in Paris and they've got few apartments in our price range so it looks like we'll go with them.

Thank you and Happy New Year to all

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

Hi Ecika

We went to Paris in September and hired a nice apartment through Paris Hideaways.

They have a lot of reasonably priced apartments to choose from and we found their representative (Alex) a very pleasant person to deal with.

If you haven't yet booked, it may be worthwhile to check out their website: http://studio.provaction.com/

Regards,

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

Thanks Karen.

The site does look amazing. Which apartment did you stay in?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

We (us & our 2 teens) stayed in "Laura" which was on the 5th (top) floor of a secure building nr cnr Blvd St Germain and Blvd St Michel in the 6th.

It was basic but nice and had a tiny balcony (which I wanted!) however maybe not so good for a 20 month old!

The Paris Hideaways office is based in London. Once we paid our deposit we were given the address of their rep and I emailed him to establish contact. He spoke a reasonable amount of English enough to communicate with my basic French (which I couldn't wait to try out lol).

We were so exhausted when we came home I haven't put together a trip post but will write one soon. We had an awesome trip! I did tonnes of research thanks to TA so I'm happy to share whatever I can.

Regards,

Karen :)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
937 Reviews
Paris, France
St Michel
St Michel
26 Reviews
Paris, France
The Paris Diner
The Paris Diner
119 Reviews
Paris, France
London
London
England, UK
arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

Hello Ecika,

We rent last year with www.apartmentparis.fr It was Absolutely perfect! It was just as it described...except bigger. We were 5 adults and we never felt cramped for space. We weren't sure if our American wireless would work with the one in Paris...but it worked fine. The subway was minutes away and we were close to everything so absolutely no need for a vehicle. In fact, I don't recommend it. The street is tiny and Paris driving is a sport that only few have mastered! The apartment was very clean and had pretty much everything you could need. Except a phone which it never said it would provide. My recommendation is to have a cellphone because calling to confirm recommendations, get information on local restaurants and ammenities, it is vital. The boy of the agency was really nice...we accidently locked ourselves out of the apartment...didn't realize it until midnight and he was still up and provided us with a key. If I had to find one bad thing, I guess I could say the bathroom wasn't very big...but hey if you are spending most of your time in the bathroom, the apartment is the least of your worries! Take it from me, a highly critical person, you will not be disappointed with this place. the apartment was this one on St germain (left bank) : myapartmentparis.com/rent/…07.html

Notice that we do not pay any deposit on arrival.

Bon voyage !

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel Saint Germain
Hotel Saint Germain
937 Reviews
Paris, France
Amstelveen, The...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartment in Paris for July/Aug 09

boeingboeing,

Apartment Larrey that you rented sound good.I'm also planning a visit with the kids in Dec.Have contacted apartmentparis and is proposed this apartment.

From your comment here, I think we might just go with this apartment.

Thanks!