We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is two days enough?

melbourne
Level Contributor
32 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is two days enough?

I am planning a HUGE holiday and to keep costs down so I am able to see more I am planning on doing quick trips everywhere. One of those is to paris.

I plan on arriving early morning and setting off early to see the sights. Im planning on sticking to the main sights like the eiffel tower etc etc.

Do you think this will be enough to get a good enough look?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
570 reviews
from US$51.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$329.60*
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,208 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is two days enough?

Since you are planning a "huge holiday" it does seem like you could spend more then two days in Paris..

Frankly if a person only has two days fine, but to choose to spend only two days in Paris whne one apparently will have lots of time is a bit beyong me.. but, yes, you can rush from site to site, and basically tick think off a list ... You will not see everything, that would take months, but you can tell folks back home you saw the Eiffel Tower and the Monal Lisa.. sigh.

Also,, if your trip consists of moving every two days I imagine your transportation costs will be quite high..

melbourne
Level Contributor
32 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is two days enough?

My reason for such a short stay is so that I can afford to see other places. I am not made of money so maybe you should consider that when responding :-)

Paris is not high on my list of things to see so if two days is enough then great but if people think perhaps 3 would be better then great. Let me know thanks.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,208 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is two days enough?

No one here is made of money, and most of us like to save when we can... that really has NOTHING to do with running from place to place, you don't save money that way anyways..what makes you think you save money by moving along every two days??

If your trip is long,, ( and you haven't told us how long) then renting an apartment for a week at at time and eating some meals in WILL save you money..

Why don't you just come out and say how long your trip is, ( 3 weeks, 4 weeks, longer , shorter) and tell us what sorts of sites interest you. There is no point in someone telling you to visit a modern art museum if you'd rather have your teeth pulled then look at modern art,, right?

This is your trip and you need to decide what sorts of sites matter to YOU.. we do not all agree on what a "must see" site may be.. its personal tastes sometimes.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is two days enough?

Dear leelee....someone asked about this recently and I saved it, Three perfect days in Paris.

…archive.org/web/…

I think it is a good example of how you can get around the sights in 3 days and enjoy. Of course they are staying at a five star hotel on the rue de Rivoli and having meals at expensive restaurants but you don't have to do that.

I am going to Paris from early Sunday to late Tuesday shortly, but there again I have been many times before and I still have places to explore.

This is a forum of Paris lovers so we are bound to think you should spend as much time in Paris as you can and go as often as you can, we are biased. To me any time in Paris is a bonus.

You may just fall in love with Paris and then HAVE to go back. Like most of us

Denise

love from England

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is two days enough?

Sorry the above link takes you to the October issue. Click on the "Septenbr issue " in the bottom right hand bit and it will take you to three perfect days in paris.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is two days enough?

We went last year for just over two days, arriving late afternoon on the first, and leaving late Monday on the fourth (hence 2 whole days). We came away feeling we hadn't seen everything at all, and have now booked to go back! However, to give you an idea of what you can do:

We went up the Eiffel Tower, (to the top, two long queues) To the Musee D'orsee, the Louvre (obviously didn't see nearly everything, but a few), walked up the Champs Elysee then climbed the Arc de Triomphe, walked around Ile St Louis and had an ice cream at Berthillion, had a look around Notre Dame and went to mass (sadly dd not have time to go up the towers) We bought the two day batobus ticket cos it helped us see most of the 'big' sights, however, did not make it to montmartre or anything like that so this time we will take the metro. We also did a lot of walking - we were staying by the Luxembourg gardens so walked right round that area, and walked to the Seine both days.

If you have time at all to make it even one day longer this will probably make all the difference,.

Dublin, Georgia
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is two days enough?

My first trip to Paris was a long weekend during a 3 week trip to England. We arrived late on a Friday night and left Monday Morning - so we technically only had 2 days to see Paris. I thought it was a great weekend. I purposefully did not do a lot of research but knew one or two things I wanted to see - then everything else I got to see was a bonus!!! Looking back on that weekend - I feel like I got a decent feel for the city and a huge desire to go back. Now I am planning my 5th trip back.

I still only get long weekends in Paris - but I have found that works good for me. Leaving on Thurs returning on Monday. Each time I just try to find something new and enjoy being in the city.

My point is this. You have 2 days - that is 2 days more than most people will ever have. Go for it and don't let anyone tell you its not enough time. Don't overplan so that you are rushing around and not enjoying the city. Yeah - the eiffel is great, the Louvre, etc . . . but the charm of Paris is Paris itself. Take time to stroll, enjoy the cafes and just soak up Paris.

Have Fun!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is two days enough?

Leelee, grndma/Denise put it well. Most folks who respond on this forum love Paris, so 2 days sounds short.

In 2 days, you could see the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the "big 3" at the Louvre, take a boat cruise on the Seine, have a few meals at cafes and stroll the Champs d'Elysees. This would be a very busy 2 days.

Have you decided what your "must do's" are for Paris? If you tell us what they are, we could help frame in how much time you'd need.

If you truly just want to get a look at Paris, 2 days will do that for you. You may find yourself, like so many of us on this forum, drawn to the city and yearning to return.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
444 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is two days enough?

Enjoy your two days if that is all you can spare THIS TIME. I know you'll be back to enjoy even more of this beautiful, historic city and will have even more of an idea of how you'll spend your extended stay!

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is two days enough?

It sounds like you are considering the possibility of spending an extra day in Paris--to make it 3 days. I think that is a good idea. That extra day will make a big difference in you getting to see more and getting the flavor of the city. I recommend that you visit the Opera Garnier which I think is the most beautiful building in Paris. For about 8E you can do a self-tour and just walk around and look at the unbelievable beauty of that building.

I do believe that you have a right to plan and execute any type of trip you desire. I just want to make an observation though. I know of many people who have done trips like you apparently are planning--a few days here and then a few days there. The expression "It's Tuesday it must be Belgium" means that after awhile you aren't sure where you are and when you get home you can't remember what you saw in each place. It can get all jumbled together. As further verification of that, my son's girlfriend went on a two-week tour with her family to Italy last summer. As she was showing me pictures and describing her trip she kept getting confused as to which town that site was in. She is a very bright, articulate person but I have seen this happen over and over.

In addition, each time you move from place to place there are travel costs associated with that move. I haven't found that it saves money to move around but rather it costs money.

In Paris, when you stay 3 or more days you can find discounts on hotel rooms and apartments additionally become an option. For only 3 days, I would probably stick with a hotel though.

Anyway, whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip.