We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let's play the souvenir game!

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Let's play the souvenir game!

I fly to Paris March 11, but let's pretend I've just landed, that I have a bottomless bag, and that I'm YOUR personal Paris shopper for the day!

Can I pick you up something?

Let's see...to get us started, for myself, I will be bringing home....

chocolates

lavender sachets

chocolates

a pretty silver Fleur de Lis pin

chocolates

bath salts

chocolates

a really neat, very French tote bag

French punk or rock n' roll (if possible) T-shirts for my teenage son

a Diptyque candle

a classy scarf for my fluently French mother-in-law

cheese and mustard for my hubby

some art by a local sidewalk painter that I like

and more chocolate!

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

My favorite souvenirs over the years have been the menus from the restaurants and the posters from the bookstores in the Latin Quarter that I have brought home and framed.

I also like to go to the housewares shops near the St. Paul metro and pick up serving trays, cutlery, and other kitchen knick-knacks like those neat contraptions you use to eat escargot.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

I'm actually ashamed to admit it but the 2 euro Eiffel Tower I bought from the "vendors" around Le Eiffel.

The chocolate macaroons from the small bakery around the corner.

5 euro bottles of wine from the local wine store. Pre liquids ban.

Chocolate, chocolate and more Cote d'Or chocolate!

If I could, those wonderful French croissants from any cafe or bakery. How do they make them so buttery and light? I've tried every croissant recommended in the DC area and none have tasted the same!

My Metro pass and any leftover carnets.

A French children's book for my niece. We're hoping that she takes French!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,746 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

I rarely buy much,, we have so much of the same stuff available here( yes, we have Cote D'or Chocolates,, LOL) and since I have been many times over many years I have got all the first timer stuff( Eiffel Tower keychain and charm anyone, LOL )

I do usually pick up a scarf or two, they are the best souvenirs, lightweight, easy to pack .

I don't think I would bring cheese, it is illegal to do so.. and those airport dogs can smell it a mile away.

I do collect and bring home pamphlets, brochures, and ticket stubs, for the photo albums .

If I was inclined to indulga myself in a shopping frenzy( not my nature though) it would be in a kitchen ware shop, they have amazing little gadgets,,

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
154 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

For me, could you bring several giant Ziplock bags from home? Minutes before you hop in the taxi to the airport, please stop by your corner boulangerie and fill those big baggies with a baguette or two(fold in half) along with several croissant beurre and pain au chocolat. Just fit them in your suitcase. Merci mille fois. They will still be fresh when you get home 8 hrs later.

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

I started a collection of the Gault- type (cheaper J. Carlton items) Paris buildings/cafes/etc., on my second trip to Paris that are found in alot of the souvenier shops on Rue de Rivoli. I have also added Provence buildings. I have a greenhouse type window in my kitchen and they sit on glass shelves so I can see them everyday and remind myself of both Paris and Provence!

I love any paper products and have several journals that I have picked up in Paris along with notecards with wonderful Parisian scenes on the front but empty inside.

I have also picked up several table runners, table toppers, and placemats that I enjoy each time I change them.

If you are a hot chocolat lover, I found the mix from Maxim's to be absolutely the BEST! It comes in a lovely black tin that I still use. I purchased the Angelina mix the last time in Paris and, although they told me it was the same as what they serve, IT IS NOT!

I have also picked up coffee at Monoprix.

What about a lovely scarf for yourself?

On my last trip to Provence and Paris with 6 girlfriends, we all had to buy an additional suitcase to bring back all the stuff we bought!

Enjoy!!!

joy/luvparee

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

Im not planning on buying any souvenirs but if I stumble onto something cool I wont feel bad about picking it up!

I would rather my experiences be my souvenir plus I dont need any more crap cluttering up my small apartment!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,169 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

Tea from Marriage Freres and several bottle of wine, some for me and some for friends.

Pjk

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

I'd add the calenders that the Paris Pompiers sell this time of year. For a small donation to charity, you get a uniquely Parisian candidate for a gift offering. They aren't touristy and the money goes to a good cause.

Fulton, New York
Level Contributor
241 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

I'm loving this post, since my family and I are travelling to France and Paris this summer - it's fun to see what people have found to be special reminders of their trip!

But, I did want to tell you that you can find Diptyque candles here in the USA. I've seen them at a boutique called blue mercury, but they are probably in other stores as well. Wouldn't want you to weigh down your suitcase with something you can buy here!

Keep the ideas coming!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
154 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Let's play the souvenir game!

LuvParee, about the Angelina/Rumpelmaier chocolat chaud: I make it with primarily heavy cream (just a bit of milk). I microwave the liquid, along with the chocolate nuggets, and then whisk it. Don't forgot to top it whipped cream, since you're diet is messed up anyway!! I think the consistency is really close to what you get at the tea room. Maybe try it this way next time