We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're Booked For April, but...

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,601 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
We're Booked For April, but...

...I wanted to pass this along and probably everone knows it.

Whenever we search for airfares we use "Number of seats - 1" even though there are two of us. If there is one seat left at a lower cost, Continental's system will not give it to you if you have specified that you want two seats.

Yesterday while searching, we found one seat available at $529.00 (plus tax), which we booked and choosing a seat with another seat free next to it. Then we immediately booked a second seat at $607.00 (plus tax), and selected the adjoining seat.

Making two reservations for one seat each instead of one reservation for two seats saved $78.00. It was worth the small effort.

Anyway, we are booked for 10 days! Hotel Millisime! Rue Jacob! Paris!!

Pjk

USA
Level Contributor
27,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

'..Who knows what evil lurks in the computers of airline reservations computers..'...well you now know some of it.

One of the other dirty little secrets of on-line airline reservations systems is that each time you visit the web site, the system places a '..Cookie..' on your computer. The purpose of this 'cookie' is to direct you back to the site more efficiently. The trouble with this system is that if you check the site frequently, the 'cookie' directs you back to the same section of the site most recently visited. Often times, this means that if there have been changes to the fare structures and seat inventories assignments, you may not see them on the page(s) the 'cookies' direct you to.

With this in mind, when actively searching airline sites for fares, it's usually a good idea to Delete the 'cookies' from your computer system...to be sure that you're visiting the my up-to-date pages.

Denver
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

But it's best not to delete cookies wholesale. You want some of them.

One of the thousands of advantages of Firefox is that you can delete them selectively.

north jersey
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

Pjk, me and my husband are scheduled to go on April 10-18, 2009. We are from NJ, but flying out of JFK. I do not know if you read my question regarding "Hotel Millisime or Abbatial saint germaine"? I have been reading your raves about this Hotel and interested wbout the Tete package. How did you book this hotel? Did you call them? Or book online?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,601 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

We booked on-line and received a conformation email. We will call and just double-check a week or so before wee go, but we've never had a problem.

I think either of the hotels you are looking at will be fine. oth hotels are in great locations. Is this your first trip?

Pjk

north jersey
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

Pjk, this is my first trip to Paris, my husbands' third. Thank you for the advise. I will book online and call them to confirm. What are the interesting places to visit/go around Millesime? I don't mean the usual tourist spots, but you know, off the beaten path...like a quaint french place around the corner, a french shop. Is Galleria Lafayette Mall close to this hotel?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

The thing about buying two separate tickets when traveling together is making sure you both receive the same treatment when / if any flight changes occur. (since they aren't recorded as one itinerary w/2 passengers traveling together).

This fall, I had a ticket w/Freq Flyer miles and hubby had a paid ticket. The FF mile ticket was booked on Delta.com but they put me on a Continental plane. Therefore, hubby's paid ticket was booked at Continental.com - two itinerary/confirm numbers. When Continental changed the plane and departure, they moved me to an earlier flight but told me on the phone that the flight was full and no room for my husband (!!). We got our a**es in gear, got to the airport early, and went to the Continental counter to see what could be done about hubby's flight. Well, after checking the system, the agent, God bless him, said, 'oh he's on your flight, it's ok'. Whew. So anyway, just keep close eye on what's going on between now and departing day.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,601 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

This is right around the corner from the rue Jacob but would be easily walked to from the other hotel...

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d122…

We always walk to the rue Moufftared and when we do we have lunch here for a platter of cheese and bread and several glasses of wine...

wineterroirs.com/2004/08/paris_wine_bars.html

We always walk up to the Place de la Contrascarpe where Hemingway first lived when he went to Paris in the 20's. We have a drink at one of the three cafes around the square and maybe have dinner...

froggynews.net/la-place-de-la-contrescarpe-h…

We always walk to the Marais and explore and there are two good resteraunts there we have found. We always have dinner once at the Brasserie D'Ile St Louis which is next to the Ile de la Cite where Notre Dame is located.

And we always check to see what is on at the Exposition Center and the Petit and Grand Palais instead of planning on a specific museum.

And we always go up to Montmartre.

Pjk

north jersey
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

Pjk, I am saving all your tips for Paris. I am so looking forward to see all the places that you mentioned. We also plan to walk around town, go across the Il de cite and Notre Dame. Thank you.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

When booking separately on line, you generally have a built-in period of time to change reservations without any penalties. Whenever flying with others who book separately, you can then call the airline and have them link the reservations. I have done this repeatedly for my daughter and friends when they have each made their separate flight arrangments, as well as, for DH, self, and friends who originate in different cities before meeting up halfway.

Whenever I return to a booking site, I always refresh the page before proceeding. avoid a lot of surprises that way.

T

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,601 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We're Booked For April, but...

The weirdest thing was once when a friend and I had a single reservation for 2 seats. One of us was bumped. They wanted to give her the $200.00 voucher to make up for it on a future trip and 1st class upgrade on a later flight, but I also didn't take the flight home and had to argue to get the additional voucher and upgrade.

My pleasure. If I think of more, I will post here.(I think we actully overlap a day or two.)

Pjk