We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel des Grandes Ecoles

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel des Grandes Ecoles

Hi everyone

I'm going through the hotels I have initially selected one by one now. I've heard about the Grandes-Ecoles so many times, and clearly many people here really like it. It looks great and a great location. This is tops on my list along with the Agora St. Germain where I've already stayed once.

But in reading the TA reports, I'm seeing a few negative reports about the G-E and wonder what others may think who have stayed there? Out of 160+ reviews the first 20 or so were not great but got increasingly better through the next ten, and after that were good to go (I always search by bad reviews first, may as well get the scoop).

A couple of them from 2005 complained about the lack of bathroom amenities and tiny uncomfortable beds...

One mentioned staying there in 2003 and the top floor had no AC (not sure if there is no AC in the hotel, period) and even worse there were bedbugs in their room (that alone is enough to make me keep looking - but then I think, ok, that was 6 years ago, surely it's been sorted out... but ugh bedbugs EVER... yes I know even top-star places are not immune...)

One from June 2007 also mentions an unclean room and getting bitten by something undetermined and they left a night early.

Another one from 2004 said "beware, not all rooms are the same quality"...

Another from 2004 complained of very soft beds and overall it's in need of an update... (My Dad has a bad back).

Cleanliness and Location are paramount. I'm not worried about "service", I can carry my own bags and hail my own taxi (though I would hope they would take care of a water pressure problem ASAP). I'm not worried about breakfast, we're in Paris, there are tons of choices and I'm sure we will take advantage of them. I just wondered if there were any additional thoughts here? I think the bedbug comment above is what turned me off the most, that and making sure my Dad is comfortable sleeping (he actually prefers to sleep partially reclined, like in a recliner, as opposed to a flat out bed but I know you can't expect that in hotel rooms.)

By the way, they did quote me 130 a night, and, I also heard from Agora who quoted me 189 a night. I already know the Agora, at least from one visit 4 yrs ago.

Thanks everyone.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel des Grandes Ecoles

I"ve stayed here w/ students and have been pleased. It's a great price and ideal location, comfortable and clean.

But if your father has any mobility issues, there are some hills to deal with (low grade hills, but hills nevertheless)

Ballarat, Victoria...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel des Grandes Ecoles

Hi Virginia, we stayed at the Grandes Ecoles in May 2008 and found the hotel to be fantastic. The location is first class, the owners very helpful, the garden delighful and the rooms and beds wonderful. The rooms are small and heavily wall papered but everything else made up for this. And we did expect small rooms in Paris.

We has two rooms and i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Kind regards

lesley

Vancouver
Level Contributor
307 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel des Grandes Ecoles

One thing to understand with European hotels that are in old buildings is that yes rooms are not all similar and yes there are rooms that are better than others but then the so-so ones are usually also cheaper. It s quite normal in France to ask to see a room or 2 before actually taking it. Of course this was the only way possible in the days--not so long ago --when Internet booking was unknown (my dad was extremely fussy and we often had to check 5 or 6 rooms or even another hotel next door..) For various reasons I can't book hotels months or weeks in advance as I never know whether or not I will be able to flight on the day I plan too. So wherever I land I call various hotels from the airport and so far didn't had to sleep in the street the first night. This why I still check a couple of rooms in whatever hotel I land. I have also spent one night in a hotel then cancelled the rest of the stay the morning after and moved down the road. This is always an option!!! I use Tripadvisor to make a list of possible hotels in various countries and towns and yes some reviews are so negative one feel like sleeping in a cafe! as for AC..I travelled several times last fall in the USA and B.C and everywhere the AC was so loud at night that I asked for a free breakfast or $$ off the morning after...In France we used to close the shutters nearly totally shut (but not quite) as soon as we got a room on a hot day but left the windows open. It did kept the rooms cooler. I wonder if many older hotels in Paris still have shutters?

14. Re: Hotel des Grandes Ecoles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 01:15