We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Old Fashioned Phone Call to Call Home?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
604 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good Old Fashioned Phone Call to Call Home?

We are not bringing cell phones with us and would like to call home the old fashioned way-with a calling card. Does anyone know where to get them in Paris and what the prices are? Also are these phone cards good all throughout Europe or just in Paris?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Old Fashioned Phone Call to Call Home?

They are called "cartes de téléphone" or "cartes téléphoniques" and are sold in tobacco shops. They are good in France only.

The cheapest ones cost less than €10.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Old Fashioned Phone Call to Call Home?

They are definitely worth getting. You get many, many minutes on the card. They are pretty easy to use and you can use them from your hotel room or from outside on a phone booth. Just walk into any tobacanist shop or even some of the souvenier shops have them. That is where I got mine in Paris.

I am not sure where else you are going in Europe, but I have used these cards in Italy and Spain, as well. You would have to get a new one, as you went to each new country.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Old Fashioned Phone Call to Call Home?

We used a calling card, and paid 7.50 euros for it. It was good all throughout Europe - in fact you could use it worldwide. It worked for us in France and Italy, and when we left it still had lots of minutes available - I think a couple of hours worth! We bought ours from a magazine kiosk. Just have a look at the back of the card to make sure it works worldwide (there should be a series of phone numbers on the back which are what you would dial from each of the places it will work in).

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Old Fashioned Phone Call to Call Home?

The carte téléphonique is sold in two denominations, the larger 120 unit card is said to offer better rates/minute which depend upon where you call and the time of day you call. Instructions on its use are found on the inside of any telephone booth in English. Simply insert the card:

1. Wait for the dialtone

2. Dial: 001 + (three digit area code) + (7 digit exchange number) i.e., 001 212 545 5555

To call within France simply dial the 10 digit number starting with "0".

Phones which actually take coins where removed many years ago. There are a few perhaps still in existence but they are rare.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Old Fashioned Phone Call to Call Home?

Just a word of caution about the telephone number that Sarastro referred to as being in the payphones -make sure that this is used in conjunction with the phone card that he/she was referring to, and not a credit card.

I remember reading on either this forum or the Venice forum about someone who went to make a long distance call from a payphone, dialed the number indicated on the payphone to make a long distance call to North America and then I think they inserted their credit card - they didn't have a phone card. When they got home, they found these calls (they made two) were around $100 or some such outrageous sum of money. I tried searching to find this thread but no success.

The point is, calling cards can be of great value. But do not make a phonecall with your credit card.

6. Re: Good Old Fashioned Phone Call to Call Home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 00:20