We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easyjet or vueling

Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
easyjet or vueling

Hi,

Early july 09, we are travelling with our 3 teenage sons from Paris to Rome. I am looking for feedback on either flying with easyjet or vueling. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I've checked the price per passenger and easyjet is $48Euros and Vueling is %50 Euros. So what has been your experience? Are they on time with departure and arrivals?

Thanks,

maria

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,505 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: easyjet or vueling

Before you make a decision, go to their web sites and read carefully their rules about both checked baggage ("hold baggage") and carry-on. These rules are enforced.

The baggage allowance is likely to be much less than you are allowed across the Atlantic, and there are high charges for excess baggage. Your €50 trip could end up costing much more.

Even if your baggage is within the allowable weight, there is often an extra charge for checking bags.

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easyjet or vueling

I second the warning about the baggage charges for the lost-cost carriers. Note that can be cheaper to pay for baggage in advance (when booking) especially if there's excess weight.

I'm currently in the process of organising the reverse itinerary (Rome - Paris), and given the available times and total cost am leaning toward Air France. Note that AF do not sell one-way economy fares on this route, but you can buy a return and not use the 2nd half. Current AF price for early July is €118 according to ITA (http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch).

Christine

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easyjet or vueling

I've only flown easyjet. Always been on time. I have absolutely no complaints about them.

But you have to know the rules. This is a budget airline

If you don't want travel insurance make sure you TAKE IT OFF the booking order. Otherwise they will charge you.

They are very strict about their 20kg baggage allowance. They charge £12 per bag which can put another £24 on the cost of each ticket. Excess baggage is charged at ALOT.

Hand luggage is allowed on the plane and they give you the dimensions on their website, but you will not be allowed a separate hadbag so make sure you can put it in the case.

Seats are not reserved so you just sit wherever you want like on a bus. Doesn't really matter for a short flight if you are separated.

Tea, coffee and food is charged separatly on the plane. Don't expect an inflight movie!

I think all airlines now restrict liquids, gels and powders taken on the plane. everything in less than 100ml containers, no more that 1 litre in total.

Denise

love from England

Denver
Level Contributor
124 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easyjet or vueling

We flew Vueling from Madrid to Barcelona last year. It was a hoot. If McDonald's opened an airline, this is what it would be like. All bright yellow, plastic and happy faces. My family and I are all pretty small people, and we felt like we'd been poured into the seats.

That said, the flight was smooth and everyone was extremely professional, if not overly so. We were worried about excess baggage weight and the airport handlers just waived us on. We ordered the flights early and got great deals.

We've flown EasyJet a couple times. Compare it to Southwest Airlines with cleaner planes.

Bon voyage

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: easyjet or vueling

I just flew vueling last week to barcelona from rome. i found it to be very acceptable. I traveled with a small backpack and a small duffelbag that fit the travel size requirement. The plane was comfortable and on time--they do charge a 4.50 euro charge for booking online with a debit card and I think a 8.50 charge for a credit card--so purchase all the tickets at once or else it will keep charging you. There is no charge for "hold luggage." Just choose the option that fits your travel needs (for example--i chose "i am not checking any baggage" and so my card was not charged). When i went to book a flight from paris to rome last night with Easy jet--the flight was for 44 euro but they tacked on all these extra charges and at the end it came out to 68 euros. (they charge you for "hold luggage", travel insurance, processing fee online." So I didn't go through with the purchase and am flying vueling for 50 euro instead. hope that helps.

SJ, CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: easyjet or vueling

Hi,

I'm planning the same route Rome to Paris in early June..and haven't been able to find decent airfare..other than with Easy Jet, V, or Meridiana

($252).

I had thought about booking a R/T with AF

too...but had 2nd thoughts...read in the air travel

forum about the possibility of airlines doing an audit and finding out that you didn't complete your

trip as agreed to when buying your airfare/ticket..

..they may charge your credit card for 2 one way

airfares instead...something to think about.

I've also read alot of negative reviews on that V

airlines on the air travel forum.

Have you book a quad room hotel or an aptment in

Paris and Rome? I'm still searching for them.

Take care.

7. Re: easyjet or vueling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 12:22