We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help plan my day in Paris?

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Help plan my day in Paris?

Hello everyone,

First time to Paris. I only get a day with a layover coming back from Egypt. I arrive at noon on a Monday & fly out at 11am the next day

I don't want to book a guide & I don't want to ride a bus. I'd love help planning.

Is it easy to hail a taxi from the tourist sites? I figured I would just go taxi to taxi.

Does this plan make sense? (not sure about distances)

Taxi hotel to Eiffel Tower. Snap a picture in front of it, hop back in taxi :) Head down to Avenue des Champs, hop out at Arc-de-Triomphe, snap a pic in front of it, head off on foot. Roam down toward the Louvre. Eat along the way & end the evening roaming around in the Louvre ?

I need to know a good, yet casual restaurant along that route ((can be pricey, but don't want to worry about my dress as I don't know if I will be rain soaked or wind blown) & if this plan makes sense.

Thanks!!!

Rebecca

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help plan my day in Paris?

Rebecca, generally you don't hail a cab in Paris as you would in the US. There are taxi stands, and that's where you get cabs, unless you call and book one to come get you at a specific location. And you'd waste a lot of precious time waiting (you could be walking with that time).

What you're planning could be described as a hit-and-run sort of trip. Do you really think you'll enjoy that? Would it not be better to study up and think of a few places you'd like to see and enjoy and actually remember? Just a suggestion. What do you think?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help plan my day in Paris?

Where is your hotel located?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help plan my day in Paris?

I think first you need to orient yourself with a map... from the Eiffel Tower to the Arc de Triomphe you don't "head down the Champs Elysse" for example.

Go to http://maps.google.com and use the directions feature. Type in the places you want to go and get a feel for what is where...

Rob

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help plan my day in Paris?

LOL,

Thanks for the advice guys :) I found that suggested route on a website called parismustsee.com

I'm a bit pressed for time with planning. I just spent the last month planning Egypt independently (14 flights, 8 hotels you get the idea)

I really only want to see the Louvre & enjoy a nice meal somewhere. It's my husband who wants the other sites thrown in there. He is used to business travel & that's how they do it. China in a day. Russia in a day. Germany in a day....sounds horrible to me.

Perhaps I just better shell out the bucks & get him a guide for the day. They could just drop me at the Louvre :)

Rebecca

Iowa
Level Contributor
301 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help plan my day in Paris?

Oops forgot to mention I am at the airport Hilton.

Thanks again!

Rebecca

Toledo
Level Contributor
413 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help plan my day in Paris?

Hello Rebecca. The Metro in Paris is the fastest, easiest and least expensive way to get around and, most importantly, it is part of the Paris experience.

I agree with the earlier post about getting a map and mapping out your time. Get a map that shows the Metro and you will note that most, if not all sites, have a Metro stop right there.

7. Re: Help plan my day in Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 01:20