We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arc De Triomphe

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Arc De Triomphe

Anyone gone up after dark to see the eiffel tower twinkle? Is it worth it? Think we're going up tour montparnasse on the first night for a cocktail to do just that but would the arc be better??

Ta x

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arc De Triomphe

The Arc is awesome. I think montparnasse is a little too high, it is hard to see some specific things from that height and it is a little removed from the city centre

USA
Level Contributor
27,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arc De Triomphe

For distance and 'perspective' the top of Arc de Triomphe is great (approx. 750 meters)...but does not offer bar service (go figga'?). Tour Montparnasse is probably right on the 'edge' for distance and perspective (approx 2.75 kilometers). So pack a bottle of champagne and a couple of flutes...and head to the top of Arc de Triomphe.

Calgary
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arc De Triomphe

Does anyone know if the elevator is working in the Arc?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arc De Triomphe

Going to be the dissenter. Montparnasse was outstanding when I made it up in December. Drinks at the lounge (not in the restaurant) were not much more than a cafe on the street. I think someone might protest if you cracked open a bottle on the Arc.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arc De Triomphe

We loved the Arc at night. We loved Montparnasse at night. We loved cocktails everywhere. There's no wrong answer here!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arc De Triomphe

Just check the closing hours for Arc de Triomphe. Access is denied about half hour prior.

I've been up there at sunset and then some. Watching the Paris auto traffic twirling around down below is kind of a different perspective too.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arc De Triomphe

The elevator is meant for those with walking difficulies but does not really apply any disrimination. It is free and I used it last year and at 80 was by far the oldest taking a ride!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
828 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arc De Triomphe

Another suggestion, go to the Trocadero and watch the Eiffle Tower twinkle. It is stunning and amazing and romantic. I just saw it two nights ago, not expecting that kind of view. You can walk to it via Ave. Kleber from the Arc or take the metro. Part of the metro Trocadero was closed on our line so we got off at Bouisse and walked. Wonderful

9. Re: Arc De Triomphe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 14:31