We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

Hello,

I have been looking into a private tour of the Musee d'Orsay. We can either hire a private company such as Paris Walks or we book through the museum directly. Has anyone had any experience with either a museum staff giving a tour or with Paris Walks? any or recommendations/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way the Paris walks and the museum are about the same price. We do not want to go much more than 160 or so euros. Thanks!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

You don't really need a private guide for the Musee d'Orsay. The provided floor plan is excellent.

My top choice of a private guide for Musee d'Orsay would be Michael Osman. If you do a search of this forum, you'll find many others recommend him as well.

He has a website:

www.geocities.com/parisfinder

or, you can e-mail him Parisfind@aol.com

If he is available for your date(s), you'll be very pleased.

ezs
Manalapan, NJ
Level Contributor
298 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

I second using Michael Osman. He does a great tour of Musee D'Orsay giving context to things and showing connections you might not otherwise notice. I believe he would be well within your price range and is worth every cent. The day he took us to Orsay, he also gave us a tour of Montmartre. He usually is with you for the entire day until you have had enough. Michael is a delight to be with.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

Context Paris might have a tour at this museum on a day you are in Paris. I have enjoyed several tours with this company.

http://www.contexttravel.com/paris/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

Thank you all, the museum also offers a private tour, I was wondering if I should give them a try. I also read that Michael is a great tour guide, maybe we will see if he could give us a tour of the Louvre as the Louvre has yet to respond to my request for a private tour. Thanks again!

Mequon, WI
Level Contributor
10 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Paris with our two daughters 13 and 10. We used Michael Osman on two days, one day for the Louvre and the second day for combined Musee d'Orsay and Pompidou. He was great and very reasonable. He was very good with the girls (10:30AM to 7PM!), but at the same time captured my wife who was a fine arts major. We basically did Art History from the Renaissance to Modern. He has a wonderful whimsical style that made the day fly by [Note: We had lunch at the Musee D'Orsay main restaurant that was very good]. He was especially valuable at the Louvre where the sheer vastness can overwhelm even experience museum goers.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

Hi --

For the Musee d'Orsay, I recommend doing your homework and then touring the museum on your own.

I'm an Impressionist fan, not so keen on the sculpture, so the homework is easy for me. I always recommend being at the museum at opening time. If you go immediately to the top floor where the Impressionist works are, you'll have a few minutes without tour groups pushing in front of you. It's well worth the early rising.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

Thank you all, I sent an email to Michael, but unfortunately did not get a response. we have been to the d'Orsay before, but my children were very young then, I think I will just go on our own though, I will do some reading through my college notes from my course on the impressionists (the only college notes I saved) and try to give the kids my own tour.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

Approximately how much would a 1/2 day or full day tour with Michael cost? I have read many great reviews of his tours but would like to get an idea of cost before I contact him.

Thanks

Jo

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
691 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

Michael charges 100 Euros for the whole day. If you want to make it shorter that's OK but it's still 100 Euros. He will take breaks and use the Metro or buses to make the day easier.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private Tour of Musee d'Orsay:from museum or outside company

I'm chiming in about Michael too. What a nice person. Please remember to tip him too. He really undercharges for his service. Many guides charge that amount per person.