We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
664 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

We will be in Paris in October and are hoping to find a ball dress for our 17 yo. Not too fancy ( or too expensive). Any ideas for where to go and whether there will still be summer dresses around, as our daughter's ball is in Feb and it's VERY hot in Perth at that time of the year.

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

By October it will be the winter collection, you might still be able to find something light but maybe not really a ball dress, as we don't have thosehigh school balls in France...You may try your luck at a wedding shop, they have dresses for the bridesmaids that may fit the bill.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,833 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

Zara and H&M may have in their holiday dress collections around then. And while it will be winter, cocktail dresses are usually skimpy. ANother place to try would the Le Mouton à Cinq Pattes on the rue St Placide between the rue de Sevres and the rue du Cherche Midi. I've gotten my daughter a few party dresses there. They sell designer clothing from two or three years ago, which means they may summer things in Oct. Daughter got an Alberta Feretti dress that retails for over 1000E for 90E.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

In the 10th Arrondissement on (and immediately nearby) Boulevard de Magenta between Place de Valenciennes and Boulevard la Chapelle there at least 100 shops specializing in ball gowns, wedding attire and costumes. There are so many that in places there are 5 or more of these shops door-to-door.

Walk straight out the front of Gare du Nord onto Boulevard de Denain, one block to Boulevard de Magenta. Turn right and you're there. Just walk up the boulevard and don't miss the stores on the side streets.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

Thanks so much. This is a great start and hopefully we'll be able to find something in one of these shops.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

Leaving for Europe in 3 weeks . Just wondering whether there are anymore thoughts on a place to buy a ball dress.

Thanks.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

Just do a search on "prom dress" in this forum. The question has been asked several times before.

Here is one previous thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k12492…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

Yes, the Arab stores on Boulevard de Magenta are perfect for this sort of purchase. The French do not wear this sort of thing (except for the infamous debutante ball), but they are very popular among the North African community. If you can find a Lebanese store, they like that kind of stuff too.

France
Level Contributor
318 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

I bought my daughter's dress for her sister's wedding at BGBG on the Champs E., she loved the dresses but I didn't like the prices.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

Thanks for that

10. Re: Where to buy a Ball Dress for High School Ball

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 05:15