We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
*Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Bonjour Everyone,

My wife and I will be going to Paris this week for the first time. Do any of you have a favorite bar or place to have a few drinks that isn't too touristy? We're looking for a local place that is friendly with a good atmosphere. Also, if there are any beer lovers out there, is it pretty easy to find good belgium beers in Paris? Do the french drink much beer? Thanks for your help!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,169 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Ici...

wineterroirs.com/2004/08/paris_wine_bars.html

And who cares if the French drink much beer. *I* drink much beer. Try a Leffe Blonde or brune, and a Pelfort or Wilfort brune.

hth

Pjk

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Affligem. A fantastic abbaye Belgian beer. Yes, French people drink beer and all the premium beers are Belgian.

You can find great Belgian beers all over Paris in almost any bar or brasserie.

Antarctic Peninsula
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Beer is delicious. I love it. Belgium beers are my favorite too. Try the Hoegaarden brand. It's a great beer and goes well with food too.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Wait a minute! what about the Alsatian beers!! Alsatian brasseries made beer drinking popular in 19th century Paris. Isn't one of the reasons Belgium has beer the fact that it was part of the Austrian Habsburgs Empire? According to Wikipedia "in Europe, only Germany, France and the United Kingdom are home to more breweries than Belgium"

Meteor is the only major French brewery that is still independent. It is located in Hochfelden, a place where beer was already being brewed in the 9th century. Kronenbourg (founded in 1664 by Geronimus Hatt in Strasbourg) and Heineken (from the Netherland) are other well known breweries in Alsace but there are over 80 breweries in that small region of France.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,169 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

The Brasserie D'Ile St. Louis serves an Alsacian beer which is very good on a warm afternoon sitting outside. What is one the other beer? Adelscot? And my friend always has to have a bottle od Desparados.

Pjk

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Ok, I'll probably get some flak for this, but we stumbled across a fun Canadian bar called the Moose.

It was full of Canadians & some Brits.

After 5 days of being surrounded by all things French... we just needed a few hours of hearing English.

canadianbarsparis.com/themoose/swf/index.htm

The Moose

16 rue de Quatre Vents

in the 6th

METRO Odeon

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Thanks everyone for your comments/insights...anyone have any other good bars? I like the Canadian one, sounds good, but I know there's more!

sydney
Level Contributor
387 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

i also stumbled across a canadian bar near san michelle and notre dame on the river. think it was called the great canadian bar-a bit of fun in paris away from the norm...

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Try Harry's American Bar. http://www.harrysbar.fr/

Great place for cocktails, but they don't serve wine. (They do have champagne.)

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: *Best Bar/Place for drinks in paris?

Great! Thanks Ting, we will definitely check out Harry's...thanks everyone for your help, We leave Wednesday so I keep checking here until then for more places...