We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation rental VS. Hotel

California City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Vacation rental VS. Hotel

Hi,

Me and my husband are going to Paris for 6 days this spring, and we want to rent an apartment for bigger space and access to washer/dryer. On the other hand, hotels might be more reliable and easier to book.

We don't speak French at all and never been to Paris before. Is it better for us to book vacation rental or hotel? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

You will save lots of money renting an apartment over hotel lodging. Besides the rental vs. the room rate, you can also eat in if you want, do your own laundry, etc. Finding a vacation rental and booking is only slightly more work than booking a hotel. Try VRBO for some great apartments at reasonable rates in all parts of town.

Whenever we are staying for a week or more, we will rent rather than stay in a hotel.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

We've rented four apartments (Athens, Tuscany, Venice, and Paris) through VRBO for our sabbatical this summer. We really like having our "own" space, especially being able to shop and cook some. We are planning on breakfasts at home and picnic lunches or dinners.

The cost of the apartments was as little as half the cost we had budgeted for hotels.

Also, we rented one apartment--in Rome--through an agency. I found a lot of agency web sites really nicely set up for looking at their various offerings. VRBO is not as easy to search in my opinion. Having said that, I'd still go through VRBO because the owners have been more pleasant to deal with and less costly than the agencies I dealt with.

I HOPE they all work out well. All the owners have been terrific to deal with. I'll definitely post reviews afterward.

I say, go for the apartment. You'll get lots of opportunities to deal with everyday life in Paris and people who don't just deal with tourists all day.

Either way, have fun in Paris!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,146 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

You don't really need laundry,, you are only going for 6 days,,, that surprises me.

I don't like cooking or cleaning on holiday, I like someone to make my bed and bring me fresh towels everyday( oh yeah,, if you get an apartment with laundry then you can wash them daily,, funsville) .

I understand that with kids , or for longer stays an apartment would make sense, but I have would never rent one,, and never have,, but its all personal tastes. I know I save alot by shopping for a good cheap hotel, I have one , in an excellant area ,, for 75 euros a night this summer, and another one for 106 euros.. so for me I don't think the savings would be that much. I also eat breaky in room, a room with a mini bar is all I need to keep yogurts, juices and some fruit. I do not even want to look at a kitchen sink.

It may be different for someone who does not do all the cooking for the rest of the year,, I do not find it a novelty,, at all. People who really like to cook would enjoy it though.

Your french is not a big deal, learn a few polite terms. I do like being able to ask desk clerk stuff, but I am sure one could find others to ask when staying in an apartment.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

I'm a foodie, and enjoy eating out, but also enjoy shopping at the great outdoor markets, and bringing local produce and foods home to cook. That's another plus for an apartment. Plus you can save some money for a big splurge when eating out.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

Just be aware that washer/dryer in France don't work like the ones we have in North America (some washer can't be opened while operating, etc). Unless you have young kids don't lose any time with washing your own stuff especially for a stay so short.

Just by saving on breakfast for 2 adults in hotel (twice 10 euros for 6 days is 120 euros), it would cover some of your food/wine in the apartment.

But for a 1st vist and a short one it is, I'd stick with the hotel, just to learn how Paris is. On your 2nd visit you could then give it a try at renting a flat.

Houston
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

The first thirty years of traveling to Paris I stayed in hotels. Then two years ago I rented an apartment. Best thing I've ever done. The space, the washer, having a little kitchen, it was wonderful. I'm renting again for my trip next month.

However, that said, it depends on how comfortable you'd feel on your own. For your first time, a hotel might be a good idea. You'll have the help of the front desk to answer questions.

When you go back to Paris a second time, you'll feel more confident about renting.

No matter what you decide, you'll have a great time.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,888 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

It depends on what you think you'd prefer. I like staying in hotels, it is part of my holiday. There are so many nice, centrally located and inexpensive hotels in Paris that I've never been tempted to rent a flat (dishes and laundry are the last thing I want to do on vacation).

Flats are harder to book, offer less security, no maid service... and will often cost just as much as a hotel (for a short-term rental) unless you're four or more people.

But some people love having more space and a kitchen, enjoy eating in and so for them an apartment is more suitable.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

Hi --

I think the best location in Paris in on the Ile St. Louis. See what's available there. They may be a little more expensive, but you'll know every minute that you're in Paris.

Learn the courtesies in French- not difficult - Your local library may have a CD course available. The French are very reserved and formal, and they will appreciate the effort you've made to learn a few words and phrases. It will make a huge difference in your trip.

9. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2009, 13:09
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation rental VS. Hotel

Another vote for apartments. But here's the thing; I'm glad I didn't rent an apt on my first trip to Paris. The services of a good concierge or good front desk staff can give you a feeling of security when you're in a foreign country and don't speak the language. There are any number of reasons for and against holiday renting. You need to be the judge whether it's right for you or not.

Oh, and whoever mentioned the washer/dryer thing was SO right. A wash cycle in a typical European washing machine takes about two hours to complete. Many times it's a combination washer/dryer and the dryer rarely completes the job. Be forewarned :)