We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reply to average Joe & all

leeds
Level Contributor
172 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Reply to average Joe & all

Hi all, I have great sympathy with Joe, we were in Paris in Feb and were amazed at the price of food & alcohol. Although not as expensive as Joes' bills we did actually pay £50 for a basic spag bol for 2 with a glass of wine & lager which pre Euro price would still have cost £35.

Like others we did the homework but were still gobsmacked at the cost of everything in Paris. When we returned home we admitted to friends that we would never say Rip-off Britain again, we did not dine out there again but lunched at baguette stands [£5 each] and had Take-away pizza for dinner [£10 for 12"]

This sounds so stingy partic as people go to Paris to sit at cafes & absorb the atmosphere but that atmosphere in todays financial climate is far too dear.

We travel worldwide but sadly will now avoid the Euro community as are many of our friends & fams.

holl,

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

Hi,

I never paid more than 12-15 Euros for a platte du jour... and the meal was always very good....

Also, the roasted chicken and a small quiche with a bottle of water in St. Germain was a total of 9 Euros, if I remember right.....

Of course, I went to a nearby park, which is always more enjoyable to me than a small space inside a small restaurant......

Of course, I'm never willing to pay a huge amount for my meals while on vacation ---- I reserve my cash for museums, gifts, sights and events.....

It's all just a matter of how you prefer to spend your money.

leeds
Level Contributor
172 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

Holl again,congrats & sympathies with additions but do U all really understand the implications of charging touristst too much more than they R used to paying. We visit Ireland a lot as have connections there and over the last approx 10 years have seen the slump in tourist trade as prices there have risen beyond belief, partic since they went Euro. Eire always had lots of Americans [Sept 11th had a bit of downward trend in this ] Germans who loved the fishing, English/Irish visiting family or roots and every other nationality.

So why have we seen less of these visitors and approx 600 or more pubs, restaurants& hotels close yearly there. Britain has followed this trend and I personally do not believe it is due to the current recession or smoking ban, IT IS THE PRICES that turn people away & turn places of interest into ghost towns. We loved Paris but Paris & the EU community need to pay attention to the wider tourist trade or will suffer in the long run.

I am a Holiday luvving gal & am not normally politically intentioned where our hols R concerned but I have become increasingly annoyed with the Rip off scenario of EU City. PS, U can have Tony Blair, he is rip off as well

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,146 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

holgaleeds.

I live in a tourist city ( and criuse port) on the west coast of Canada.

We rip tourist off. They buy the 5 dollar cokes down at our Inner Harbour, and spend twice as much as we do on a good meal( cause we know where to go and they usaully just eat in the tourist center, especially if they do not have a car!

We went Hawaii in Jan- Feb.. we paid 12 American dollars for a Mai Tai, and 30 American dollars for steak..

Its not just the EU cities,, I spent 20 GBPs on a single size pizza near British Museum, five years ago ( goodness knows what it would cost now!)

Tourists have to be smart and careful as most touristy cities are trying to make a buck off of them,, its the same everywhere.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

Dental Dave:

>>>Anemone--- you don't really understand it do you.<<<

What exactly do you think I don't understand??

I understand perfectly. I understand that people are moaning about something that they have control over--the spending, or overspending, of money and that they are not moaning about something they have no control over-- entering into the Eurozone.

At least, that's the crux of what is being moaned about here so, please, don't presume to think that you know what I understand and don't understand.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

Joan, you should really email the London Evening Standard or BBC Watchdog about the pub where you paid £20 for a pizza. They like exposing rip-offs and something so far from the norm would certainly be of interest to them. On grill nights at my local I get a 10oz rump steak, salad and jacket potato plus a pint of beer or 175ml glass of wine for £5.49.

Still, at least it was near the British Museum, which is free. Lucky you weren't near the Louvre.

UK
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

Anemone---"switch the UK to the Euro"---you don't get anywhere near to understanding it.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

March 10, 2009 article lists Paris as the world's 3rd most expensive city, preceeded only by Toyko and Osaka. Article states that local prices and exchange rates reflect the cost of living. Previous posters are correct when they say high prices exist; other posters also correct when they say currency exchange impacts costs to travellers. It is a combination of the two. Paris was second most expensive last year, so rating has come down somewhat, but still the most expensive city in Europe.

france24.com/en/20090310-worlds-most-expensi…

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

Hi, again --

In Tokyo as in Paris there are ways to control your food budget. It's the same all over the world. You look at the prices and if they're too high for your pocket book, you go elsewhere until you find a place that you consider affordable.

Look for the little entrance doors that signal a basement cafe. You hardly ever find a place that has its menu with any English, but because there are so many tourists in Tokyo the prices are listed in Arabic numbers. You can tell how expensive the place is by looking at the menu....all together now...duh. It took me a little while to realize that I didn't have to know what the menu item was, to figure out whether or not I could afford a place.

As in many other countries, imported beer and spirits will bust your budget as will Coca Cola. I happen to like Japanese Beer, and I know which names are indeed Japanese. However, the young folks are constantly "discovering" new imported beers and you'll find that the server will push those -what ever is fashionable at the moment. And you'll pay through the nose for them.

Since you probably are like me, and know only a few phrases in Japanese, the solution to this beer nonsense is to respond to every suggestion Japanese?, or from Nippon? which means the same thing. Eventually you will get what you want and you'll save some money.

As in Greece, someone will take you into the kitchen to show you what sorts of things they're preparing. It helps that even a tiny basement operation will have plastic food displayed with their prices clearly marked, to help you make your decisions.

Generally, though, they don't offer their full menu every day. They offer, perhaps, 6 or 8 items, made with the things that were fresh and plentiful at the market that day. The small places simply can't afford to keep a huge inventory. They will offer a different set of dishes tomorrow.

You must be careful though. A little basement cafe might get fashionable. Then, there are lots of people there, perhaps a line to get in. As soon as that happens, the prices go up. So, when you see a lineup to get into a previously affordable basement cafe, know it's no longer that, and go in search of another one.

The common thread throughout the world, is that you have to earn your affordable cafe or brasserie or whatever. You have to check the prices and you have go to another place if one proves to be too rich for your blood, as we say.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,888 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

Here is another list of the most expensive cities... (notice Paris is not in the top ten)

…cnn.com/2007/06/15/pf/most_expensive_cities/

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Reply to average Joe & all

My home town is number 6 on the list - so unless you live in London or one of the other cities rated higher - don't complain;) - And we even pay up to 67% in taxes. LOL