We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

I have been reading a lot of posts on TA regarding travelers itinaries in which many people include which restaurants they are planning to visit and some even include what time! I have been carefully planning my itinary for my trip in May, but am I missing something by not looking up and researching restraunts in the area for where I will be on a particular day? I just assumed that if we get hungary, we would just find a restraunt or nice little cafe that looks nice. I am not into the fancy dining experience, just nice experience with good food.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

You certainly could play it by ear, but half the fun of a trip is in the planning and, while I agree that you would be crazy to be slave to an itinerary that detailed, a familiar name and a shared experience can make the food taste even better. I suggest paying more attention to possts from people who have just returned, rather than those reporting their planned itinerary, however. Counting on the Sox this year!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
51 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

Hi thesoxofboston:

Please take the time to research the restaurants, brasseries and bistros. What I do, is google the arrondismont you are staying in and then go to Google Earth and actually pin them. I would do that also for others in the areas where I want to go. There are many famous Brasseries and Bistros. However, when we were in Paris in May of 2007, we rented an apartment and we found a Bistro in our neighborhood that did great food at a reasonable price and we ate some of our lunches and dinners there. Bistros could be considered, like "beer places", actually, Bistro does mean Brew, so you can find great food fast but don't confuse it was our definition of fast food. Brasseries are kind of a step up between Bistros and "real restaurants" which can be quite expensive. You can google bistros and brasseries and find great information. Guide books always have a vast list of all of this. Food in Paris is not all "French", you can find great other types of food. We ate at a place called Willy's Wine Bar near the Louvre and our lunch was fairly reasonable. Also, most eateries post their menus. Please don't get hooked into an "American" menu, try some of the regional foods. Hope this helps

Williamsburg, Va
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

SunnySaundra,

I think you have it backwards. I think brasserie means brewery, and they are a bit more casual than a bistro. A brasserie will serve food pretty much all day whereas a bistro has set hours for lunch and dinner.

California City...
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

i like to play it by ear in terms of dining. it's too hard to know where or when we might be at any particular time/day.

if you happen to be in the concord/tuileries/louvre area, there's a good place called chez flottes on rue cambon. we stayed nearby and we knew it was always open late. typical bistro fare with decent prices. 23euros gets you an appetizer+entree or entree+dessert.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

Hi --

I have two reasons for not planning restaurants in advance unless for some reason I find myself sitting on a pile of money and can afford one or another of the restaurants of the great (read famous) chefs which, of course, require much advance planning and reserving. BTW, this hasn't happened yet, but I never give up hope.

One of my reasons is that I never know ahead of time what will "tickle my palate" as they say, on a particular day.

The other is that I really have great fun checking out all the bills of fare I come across in order to find the lunch or dinner site of the day. I am unwilling to give up this activity. I consider it one of the great and most Parisian of my holiday experiences.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
51 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Thanks, but according to The Brasseries of Paris by Francois Thomazeau Brasseries now in Paris are more expensive, have white tablecloths and are art deco or noveau and some of these are some of the most famous in Paris such as Bofingers, Aud Pied de Cochon, Le Grand Colbert, etc. (This book was what I referred to in my previous post) My husband and I went buy the Aud Pied de Cochon, and a typical lunch there was 75Euros without any wine, while the Bistro around the corner from our apartment, Le Millet, we had a wonderful baked chicken with pomme frits, which came with a salad and we also had dessert with Bertillon ice cream, two glasses of wine and our bill was 50 euros and this was dinner.

Williamsburg, Va
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Interesting. My info came from Clothilde's Edible Adventures in Paris. "La Brasserie was originally a restaurant that served beer-the literal meaning of brasserie is brewery- and a simple hearty fare, often of Alsatian inspiration. The term is now used, more broadly, for traditional restaurants that are larger than bistros and offer a longer menu served around the clock" According to her, the distinction today between bistro and brasserie is kind of fuzzy. I guess I was just making the point that it is brasserie that means brewery, and not the other way around. Not sure which is more formal or more expensive as a rule...but I guess I will find out in a month.

california
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

We do it both ways: We make reservations when it works well for our schedule, and play it by ear the rest of the time. We also enjoy reading the posted menus as we wander around, and have at times gone in to make a reservation for later that evening when we come across a place that suits our fancy. And when there's a particular restaurant we definitely want to try, we will make a reservation earlier that day or the day before. Reservations are very appreciated at restaurants, so do it when you can, and look to more informal dining options when you can't.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,051 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants

The terms "brasserie", "bistro" and "restaurant" have become totally confused as restaurateurs try to find a name that appeals. A place calling itself "bistro" can be a very upmarket restaurant or a little local cafe.

To me, one of the joys of Paris is wandering around some blocks away from any major tourist site, looking at the menus and cartes, and deciding where to eat.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
51 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants

Hi CJMWilliamsburgVA:

You say potato, I say pawtato. Who cares, I'll take either anytime!!!. I am jealous that you will be there in a month. We are probably going to go in September, October for a month. We are just waiting for airfare to go down a little. Seriously, enjoy!!!! and if you want this book I have, it is from The Little Bookroom and I found it online. They also publish a whole bunch of other books, on Paris, Italy. They are seriously beautiful as well as informative.

Have a great trip!!!