We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montparnasse hotel rec? or should we stay elsewhere?

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Montparnasse hotel rec? or should we stay elsewhere?

We'll be in Paris for 3 nights next month. Arriving by train to Montparnasse on a Friday afternoon/evening and needing to get to CDG airport for a 10:30 am flight.

My mother was complaining about dragging luggage on the metro staircases as being hard for her now. I can do mine, but not both at once (and we do both pack exemplarily light already). So I was thinking if we found somewhere walking distance (10-15 min) from Montparnasse station, that would be convenient also to get bus (or train?) to CDG on Monday morning.

My mother keeps reminding me it's possible to take a taxi, esp with two of us to split the fare. Is there another neighborhood we should consider with better early am CDG access? Roughly what would be a fair cab fare to get there from Montparnasse on Fri night?

I will be spending most of my Sat & Sun in the Louvre probably, not sure what my mother wants to do, but she's been in Paris previously and won't be hauling luggage, so she'd be fine anywhere she has access to transit.

We're looking for one room, preferably a twin, possibly a double. With own toilet or shared one that is close to room. Elevator (for when we have luggage). Free wifi would be a plus, but we can take or leave the other amenities. Looking for maybe 110 euro/night +/- 20. (I normally stay in hostels, my mother just doesn't want to share dorm room with strangers anymore)

Thanks for any help :)

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montparnasse hotel rec? or should we stay elsewhere?

It looks like the RER train to CDG from Gare Du Nord is MUCH faster and easier for Monday morning.

About how much should a taxi from Gare Montparnasse to Gare du Nord be (2 people, 2 carryon size roller bags) on a Fri evening? or is it a straightforward (1 line only) metro hop?

Are there hotel recommendations in that area?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,149 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montparnasse hotel rec? or should we stay elsewhere?

Metro Line 4 runs between Montparnasse & Gare du Nord. You exit and come up within the interior of the train terminal hall. Roughly 15-20 minutes ride.

Similarly, you could take Metro Line 4 or 6 to Denfert Rochereau (smaller station), and change to the RER there, going to CDG. You could buy the RER tickets in advance so you don't have to stop that morning.

Air France runs a coach service from Gare Montparnasse, to the CDG Terminals (it will also stop at Gare de Lyon on the way out, so factor plenty of time). See link below to get the particulars.

You need to arrive at CDG by 7:30am if your flight is to return to US.

…airfrance.com/cars-airfrance/index_en.html

www.ratp.info/touristes/index.php…

- - click on the CDG tab

Florida
Level Contributor
17,149 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montparnasse hotel rec? or should we stay elsewhere?

Hotel Louvre Forum has a 3-night price for 123€ twin shows avail. for days in May. A taxi there from Gare Montparnasse would be 15€ or less, I think. Then you could take the RER to CDG from the Chatelet-les Halles station (about 425 meters away).

http://www.paris-hotel-louvre-forum.com/

(site doesn't mention Wifi)

Staying near Gare Montparnasse, the Hotel Delambre has a 3-night promo for a Twin, 90€, a good bit of availability in May (and mentions Wifi). It's about a 600 meter walk from the Air France stop if you wanted to go to CDG that way. Or it's a very short walk to the Vavin metro stop on Line 4, which goes to either Denfert Rochereau RER or Gare du Nord RER for the transfer to CDG.

http://www.delambre-paris-hotel.com/

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montparnasse hotel rec? or should we stay elsewhere?

travelnutty could you please tell me where I can look to find out how much ahead of time you have to be at the airport for departure? I could not find it on CDG airport site

Florida
Level Contributor
17,149 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montparnasse hotel rec? or should we stay elsewhere?

The standard 'rule' of thumb for international flights is to arrive no later than 3 hours prior to departure. CDG is not quick and easy on the check-ins, passport check and security check. Typically undermanned for the number of passengers. If you get through it early, count your blessings. You must check in no less than 1 hour prior to departure.

Your airline's website may have a section that tells advised timings for various airports - see if you can find it there. But all you have to do for CDG is do a little forum searching and you'll see the comments about how much time you need to get cleared for your departure gate.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montparnasse hotel rec? or should we stay elsewhere?

Wow, 3 hours. Seems like such a loss of beauty sleep in the morning! Oh well thanks for the info.

7. Re: Montparnasse hotel rec? or should we stay elsewhere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 22:20