We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

Any thoughts in either of these locations?

We had thought for Montmartre Chez La Mere Catherine at 6 place du Tertre - but its reviews here on TA are very poor.

We expect touristy (that's what we are after all:) in some of our areas, but want to avoid dreadful or a total rip off.

Party of 2 adults, 3 children - good onion soup a plus:)

Thanks for any advice - we're leaving tomorrow.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,957 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

In Montmartre, we had lunch at Consulaire just down from the artists square this past trip, moules frites and an omelette and drinks.

Pjk

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,068 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

Place du Tertre and the area close to Sacre Coeur is big-time tourist country; which means high prices and poor quality. Get a few blocks away and start wandering: look for an interesting menu, reasonable prices, and lots of French being spoken.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

This restaurant is a must everytime I go to Paris:

Le Relais Gascon

- www.lerelaisgascon.fr

6, Rue Abbesses

Huge salads, amazing cassoulet, great soup. Huge portions for Paris, so sharing would be great for your fam. Have fun.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
853 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

Hi Ferdia.

In Montmartre try La Pomponnette on Rue Lepic www.lapomponnette-montmartre.com authentic Montmartre bistro in same family for over 100 years, make booking before you go.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

We found Chez La Mere Catherine to be a very nice restaurant. Loved the large escargot. The restaurants along here have to be the ultimate in people watching, as the tourists interact with the artists in the square. We didn't find the prices outrageous. I'd say go for it, we enjoyed it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

I second Relais Gascon. Amazing salads as above poster noted. Fun place.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

We brought an elderly couple for their first visit to Paris last September. We're regular visitors and normally we avoid the tourist traps but they were really enthusiastic to eat on the Place du Tertre. We had lunch at Chez La Mere Catherine and it was fine for the purpose. They loved the location and the food and prices on the tourist menus were fine, if unmemorable.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

Pjk, Nick, Travelsap...and Lightblue.

Thank you - we left the next morning so I missed your replies, but intend to take these on board on our next trip later in the summer.

We bought lunch at a place at the bottom of the steps at Montmartre and ate a picnic on the hill... and took advantage of the fantastic weather.

I will check my pictures in the AM to pass on the name.

Oldtraveller & Tapl....YES!

It turns out that we've eaten at Mere Catherine on a few ocassions...the first time NY's day 1997...no problems at all.

It was only when we went through the square to buy ice cream (again I will post the name in the AM) that I realised that it was the same place!!

We were staying at the Regina again and used the restaurants in the area to a large extent...but made a few new discoveries.

9. Re: Casual bistro/rest in Montmartre & St Germain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 08:18