We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

I think I have found a place to stay outside of Paris. I will have a rental car so I do not want to venture too far into Paris so I have chosen a place near the Bobigny Pablo Picasso metro station. It appears that this place is outside the city centre requiring another zone to be added to my card or whatever I get.

That said... we are only going to have a half day on arrival and then another full day. So to me, the price of 2 day travel card seems high. There will be two of us and to spend almost $100 just for metro travel just doesn't sound right. Of course I may be looking at all the wrong websites.

I read about these carnets on another thread and they seem very reasonably priced, but still not quite understanding how they are used. Say we scoot from Bobigny PP to the Arc de Triomphe. Then from there to the Eifel tower. Maybe to the Bastile and the catacombs. Will we end up using carnet after carnet getting to all of these places? From my map, I can't grasp if any of these are within walking distance of each other for us to save in that way.

Having only a sadly limited time in Paris, I have to try to plan the highlights that will appeal to my 18 year old son. He tends to like the weird stuff, but will want to see the classic Paris attractions too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

The zone 1-3 Paris Visite card covers all metro stations. A two-day one costs €14.40, so for two of you it would be €28.80, or about $38.50 US.

A carnet is a set of 10 single tickets. On the metro, they are valid for one journey. You can change lines as much as needed to get to your destination, but the ticket is invalid as soon as you leave the metro/RER system.

If you go to maps.google.com or www.viamichelin.com, you can put in the names of Paris landmarks and obtain a walking route, with distance and approximate walking time.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

Ok, this is helpful. To change lines one does not have to leave the metro system right? One can just change lines like changing lines on the tube in London right? Some of those lines are as simple as crossing the platform and getting on a differnet train. If we plan ahead, that would be a lot more economical.

I just don't think I want to pay $38 for a pass card twice as one day will only be half a day if even that.

Thank you for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

It is two two-day passes that would cost $38. Total cost for the two of you.

When changing lines in the metro, you follow the signs for the line you want and you do not leave the station. Occasionally, the interchange is cross-platform, but more often you have to walk along a passage. In some stations, such as Chatalet Les Halles, the walk between some lines can be long.

Level Contributor
566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

Hi,

Just want to let you know that if you decide to buy a pass, there's a cheaper option: a Mobilis is a daily pass. the price of a Mobilis for zones 1-2 is 5.80 Euro.

By the way, will you be in Paris on Saturday or Sunday? If so, your son is allowed to use "Ticket Jeunes Week-end", the same concept of a Mobilis but costs only 3.20!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

Thanks OhadB: that had slipped my mind!

kuwait
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

Hi

I will arrive paris 5:00 PM Friday 24th of April. Am not sure yet about the service I am going to use to reach my hotel in Rue 10 cassett Saint-Germain . However , since I am going to be in Paris until 30th of April I was going to purchase Pairs visite ( E 28 for 5 consequence day ) . I am not sure how often I am going to use Metro/Bus or which routs inside the city ( zone 1-3 ),But since I am a first timer thought this is a good way to not worry about my tickets and transportation . Now, I wonder if buying “paris visite “ suite me better or “ mobilis” .

I really appreciate your answer to put rest to this issue in my plans .

Level Contributor
566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

5 Mobilis cost more than a Paris Visite for 5 days.

Also notice that 2 carnets (20 tickets) cost less (22.80).

Nevada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

I assume that Kansas doesn't have a subway/Metro system so here goes:

Many Metro stations have wall maps of the local area so when you depart the station you'll have an idea where you need to walk. The stations have a map that lists transfer points. You'll also find the transfer points in Metro car/train.

As an example if you are at a line 7 Metro station and need to go to line 3: Locate the station, see which direction takes you to a line 3 stop. Just make certain you know the end point/terminal of your train so you don't go in the wrong direction.

9. Re: Ok, the cost of riding the metro is killing my brain...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 19:17