We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

Greater London
8 posts
Save Topic
2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I (both recent graduates, in our early 20's) are planning our first visit to Paris; travelling from London to Paris via Eurostar and staying in Bastille.

We arrive on Fri 1st May (and are a little nervous about transport because we've found out its a public holiday!!) around 1200. We leave on Sun 3rd May around 1900.

Our planned itinerary is as follows...

Fri afternoon / evening - walk around Place de la Bastille and maybe venture into central Paris to see the sights at night(?!)

**Plans for Friday are dependent on what is actually open and whether the metro is running?

Sat - walk down Champs Elysee, see Arc de Triomphe and Le Louvre.

Sun morning / afternoon - walk up Tour Eiffel and go on a river cruise (is it a good idea to pre-book this via www.vedettesdupontneuf.com?)

We've also considered Chateaux de Versailles but fear we will lose out on seeing much of central Paris if we go there.

Are there any other 'must see' places to go before we leave Paris? As we only have 2 days we are trying to be realistic and not pack in too much (so that we won't be disappointed!)

Any other advice on things to do and places to eat would be much appreciated...(that aren't expensive but just decent local cuisine)...we're still accustomed to a student budget ;-)

Thanks very much.. :-)

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Greater London
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

...Just had yet another thought...

For the above itinerary, would it be best to purchase a Carnet of (10 i think) metro tickets, or a 3 day Paris Visite pass?

Thanks again!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

Hard to comment on your itinerary without knowing your interests, but what you have is fine.

Just buy a carnet, for the amount of travel it is probably the easiest.

Greater London
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

Thanks Peterm0302. We'd like to see as many of the major landmarks in central Paris, but don't plan on going inside the churches and museums as we only have 2 days this time :-(

Is anyone else able to advise on our planned itinerary for Fri / Sat / Sun?

Are there any particular nice places to have a quick breakfast near The Color Design Hotel (35 rue Citeaux)?

Any side streets near the Champs Elysee and Tour Eiffel that would not be expensive to stop for lunch / dinner?

Would you recommend Chateaux de Versailles, or is there enough to see and do around the center of Paris.

Thanks!!

sudbury
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

Hi there. We are going to Paris in September.

We are staying at an apartment (120E/night) on rue Sainte Anne (It's about a 5 minute walk from the Louvre). This is what we have planned.

Arrive Tues am around 1030AM. Take either shuttle or taxi to apartment. (Because we live in the country and aren't comfortable with public transport and have to transfer from the RER to the Metro, we chose this way)

After settling in, we plan on walking through the Jardin Tulieres, Place de la Concorde, Grand Palais, cross the Pont Alexander III (maybe visit the Hotel des Invalides and Tombeau de Napoleon), take the batobus to the Eiffel Tower, cross over to Tracadero, walk over to the Arc de Triomphe (go up to the tower) and then probably take the batobus back towards the Louvre and collapse into bed.

Along the way, we plan to look for cafes etc.

There is a Monoprix close to our apartment so, I plan on purchasing some favourite foods and drinks.

The next day we plan to to to Notre Dame, the war memorial behind Notre Dame, St Chapelle, Conciergerie, Ile St Louis, Saint Sulpice and walk through the Rodin Gardens.

On Thursday, we are taking a day trip to Vimy Ridge.

On Friday, we plan to visit the Louvre, D'Orasay, Orangerie, and the Garnier OPera. At night we will do a dinner (Eiffel Tower), illumination cruise, and a show at the Moulin Rouge (a package from Cityrama),

The next day we head to Normandy. When we return we plan on visiting the Montmartre area and then leave back for home

It sounds busy, but we have limited time and would like to see most of Paris and still enjoy the trip

Greater London
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

Thanks nctrips.

I've pinched some of your ideas of places to go...and the Batobus looks like good fun (fingers crossed for some nice weather!) ;-)

I expect dinner at the Eiffel Tower will be pricey? The Illumination cruise sounds cool too - i understand this is all part of a package, but where would this depart from and what time would you recommend?

Can anyone recommend any nice places to eat (breakfast / dinner) in the Bastille area?

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

p vas, here is some info about one of the river cruises.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k11200…

This has had consistently positive comments here, it leaves and returns near pont neuf. It is inexpensive if you take the basic cruise, although there are dinner cruises and champagne cruises available from several companies. As i mentioned elsewhere, the only negative I have for that company is that the tour oes not seem to reach Ile aux cygnes, which I would like to see.

So far as your other questions, everybody says Versailles is not to be missed, but it takes a whole day and since you will only be there two days, it probably does not make sense.

In answer to the overall itinerary, may I suggest Rcik Steeves website. He gives sample itins for 1-7 days. Not to say follow it exactly but you can get an idea for what would make up a full day and pick and choose from there. ricksteves.com/plan/…parisitin.htm

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

Another vote to skip Versailles. It's amazing, but not worth it when you only have two days in Paris, IMO.

I'd be sure to check out the Ile St. Louis and Notre Dame. That area is beautiful. It's fun to walk along the river, and if you're on the Left Bank, you can amble around the picturesque Latin Quarter (lots of students and cheaper eats there) and St. Germaine.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

I too would vote to skip Versailles on such a short trip. It needs at least half a day but better with a full day in itself. I cannot comment too much on restaurants as we rent an apartment and cook dinners and breakfast in and just grab lunch in a cafe.

Paris is awesome. We were there 4 days the first time 13 the second and are going back for a week in the city and a week travelling this summer and am excited already

Greater London
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

touring24 - thanks for the Rick Steeves itinerary tip ;-)

Also for the very very useful post and I will seriously consider booking a river cruise with Les Vedettes de Paris. Their 'Pleasure & Pasta cruise" offers are quite tempting:

vedettesdeparis.com/97/2/croisieres-vedettes…

Can anyone comment on either of these specifically?

strass - I've added Ile St. Louis and Notre Dame to my ever-growing list of places to see, and will try to incorporate those!

Thanks all for the advice so far, its much appreciated. Glad to hear your thoughts on Versailles - i think i'll need to plan another trip to come back and visit it!

:-)

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Day Trip Itinerary (first time visit) to Paris...

Personally, I would skip Musee du Louvre and go directly to the Musee d'Oray, what with your short stay.

The M'O will take several hours (an easy 6/7) if you take your time and enjoy the works.

Regardless of all else, do purchase a two day museum pass, as it will enable you to bypass the ticket lines, which can be very, very long.

You can get the pass upon arrival at Gare du Nord Reception. http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/home.php

Batobus stop is just a short distance from the museum too.