We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum Pass Question

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Museum Pass Question

Has anyone purchased their pass through museums-in-paris.com before? It says that they'll have your pass waiting for you at your hotel. Should I risk that, or are the lines long in the airport?

Also, with the pass, do you still have to wait in line at any of these?

Musee d'Orsay

Louvre

Notre Dame

Arc de Triomphe

St. Chapelle

Hotel des Invalides

Versailles

One last question: we want to do the fountain show at Versailles. Can we enter with the pass and then pay for the additional entrance once we're inside?

Thanks!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,055 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum Pass Question

First, add up the regular admissions for the places you definitely plan to visit to determine cost savings.

The only place the Museum Pass is truly useful for skipping the line is Musee d'Orsay (and you can always purchase a ticket at the window for visiting the next day or beyond if the line is longer than you care to wait).

Note that a passport is better for visiting Chateau Versailles - more venues are included - fountains are extra with the museum pass. You can check the differences on the website.

DO NOT purchase the pass ahead of time - you'll pay an unnecessary markup. Buy it at the nearest smaller museum/included attraction to your hotel destination.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum Pass Question

You'll pay dearly for that service, and I'd say it's not worth the extra. 10 euro extra for each 4 day pass? That's insane!

We picked up our pass at Pyramids Reception, 23, rue des Pyramides, Paris 1 as this was very convenient for us, and to the Louvre.

Can't say if there would be any major lines at the airport. I suppose it's always possible.

With the pass there were no lines at:

1. Musee d'Orsay

2. Musee du Louvre

3. Hotel des Invalides

4. Conciegerie

5. Musee Rodin

6. St. Chapelle there was a line for security, but not long

7. Tour Eiffel the lines were rediculous.

Cannot help with the rest.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum Pass Question

I would not buy it ahead of time.

I usually go to Cluny museum or Panteon and buy it there. There are very very short lines at either places.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum Pass Question

is it true that you can skip the line at the Eiffel Tower with the museum pass? I had not thought that was true.

USA
Level Contributor
27,568 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum Pass Question

FIRST---one assumes that you've already taken the time and made the effort to check and compare the significantly lower 'official' prices of the PARIS MUSEUM PASS, when purchased in Paris vs. the prices charged by the above on-line 'agent'...and decided that you really don't mind paying that much of a 'premium' for that little 'convenience'??

www.museums-in-paris.com/museum_pass.php

www.parismuseumpass.com/en/pass_tarif.php

Having the PMP will allow you to skip the regular ticket lines (but not security lines) at all of the participating institutions listed above EXCEPT for the Tower of Notre Dame. The PMP will cover the 8€ admission...but everyone stands on the same line to take their turn cimbing the stairs to the top.

YES...you may purchase separate tickets for the fountains once inside Versailles.

USA
Level Contributor
27,568 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum Pass Question

>>>is it true that you can skip the line at the Eiffel Tower with the museum pass? I had not thought that was true<<<

The PARIS MUSEUM PASS does **NOT** cover admission to EIFFEL TOWER....nor does it allow you to skip any lines at ET.

The best way to skip lines and admission at ET is to book a luncheon or dinner reservation at Restaurant Le Jules Verne.

One of the other notable exceptions fo the PMP is the MUSÉE MARMOTTAN--

parismuseumpass.com/en/musees_liste_nom.php

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum Pass Question

Eiffel Tower Not on Museum Pass.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum Pass Question

I bought mine at a tourism info office in one of the train stations...it took 5 minutes!

ayrshire
Level Contributor
452 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museum Pass Question

I would consider if you need the pass or if you would be better of paying on admission. My wife and I bought passes last time me ment to paris and to be honest there was so much to see in each museum/gallery that it was not worth it.You could spend at least a day minimum a half day in each museum and at least 2 days in the louvre....

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
87 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museum Pass Question

Just recently returned from a Paris visit. Purchased a museum pass again this trip. Despite comments about only saving time in line at Orsay don't believe it. Every location visited had lines, some huge. Even if there is only 20 people in line you won't be waiting they will. To purchase one just look for the bright red Tourist Information Offices at terminal 1 or 2, decide how many days you want the pass for, pay the appropriate fee and your ready to go. Is not activated until it is signed and dated so you don't waste a day on a late arrival or if you have other plans for a couple of days.