We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eurostar to paris for the day is it worth it ?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
eurostar to paris for the day is it worth it ?

Hi,

I want to take my boyfriend to paris for the day on eurostar as he has never been on it before ( i know where has he been)

But i only have a day (childcare issues) if we leave on the first train and come back on the last is it worth ?

any suggestion re schedule for the day ? it would obviously be a surprise but want to do something special.

LB73

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eurostar to paris for the day is it worth it ?

If you consider the tunnel train part of the adventure, as I do, then I think a day trip is very practical and reasonable. Especially if you won't have many other opporunities to enjoy Paris together. In your brief visit you can easily take in a Seine cruise, walk around Champs du Mars and the the Eifel Tower, and see Notre Dame.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eurostar to paris for the day is it worth it ?

My daughter (who lives in London)and friends, has done day trips by eurostar to Paris on a couple of occasions and enjoyed it enourmously

ohio
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eurostar to paris for the day is it worth it ?

London,

There have been several post on this topic lately. I saw one on 3/31 with different suggestions on how to spend one day arriving on the Eurostar. I also think I read on the London TA that you can purchase metro tickets on the Eurostar.

Enjoy

London
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: eurostar to paris for the day is it worth it ?

I think it makes a enjoyable day out. I've done it and managed to fit in several things including just

sitting in a cafe and people watching.

To make it more special you could travel Leisure Select - expensive but, IMO, worth it.

USA
Level Contributor
27,568 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eurostar to paris for the day is it worth it ?

There's a line from a film that sums it up fairly convincingly..."..Paris is always a good idea..".

If there are 'tricks' to this sort of day-trip, they are to try to book the earliest train you can from LONDON-Saint Pancras in the AM. Bear in mind that there's a one hour (later) time difference for Paris and the latest train back from PARIS-Gare du Nord (you get the 'lost hour' back on the return) that suits any other personal demands at home. Another is to find the lowest available EUROSTAR fare, which usually begins at £59 r.t.-- eurostar.com/UK/…continent.jsp

Perhaps the most difficult part of planning and executing a day like this is that given the brief time available, you are going to have to severely limit the items on your 'wish list' and make some hard choices for your day. As an example: going to the top of the Eiffel Tower is usually a priority on most Paris 'wish lists'...but the line for tickets and waits for elevators (both going up and coming down again) can be long...and a 'quick' visit to the top of the Eiffel Tower can easily stretch from 2-to-3 hours. So a better alternative to this might be a trip to the top of Arc de Triomphe--where your view of the skyline of Paris may not be quite as spectacular as from Eiffel Tower...but the former will have one iconic element of the skyline of Paris that the latter won't.

6. Re: eurostar to paris for the day is it worth it ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 09:21