We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Public transportation

Bonjour,

We are a family from Montreal and will be spending a couple of days in Paris.

We are thinking of taking the public transportation RER or subway for the following dates:

July 4 @ approx 6h30 from airport Charles de Gaulle airport to our hotel: Hotel Lyon Mulhouse, 8 Blvd Beaumarchais (11th aArrondissement)

July 6th @ approx 14H from our Hotel Lyon Mulhouse to Orly (Terminal Sud).

We are a family of 5 (2 adults with our 3 teenage sons) and we will have 5 pieces of luggages.

The subway Bastille is just outside our hotel. In you opinion is this doable?Please provide us with the rates for each shuttle service and the type of vehicle we will be transported in.

Merci!

Maria

Reading
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation

Salut Maria

If I understand this right: after a red-eye from La Belle Province to Paris you will leave CDG to go into Paris at 6h30 with 5 people?

My suggestion: forget it. Get a cab. RER to Paris centre then metro with baggage and jet lag will cost €60 and a very tiring welcome to Paris.

A cab at that time of day will probably be around €40 abd take 45 minutes: as you leave the terminal the official cab stands are very clearly marked with a huge selection of vehicles. You'll be able to skip the smaller ones and just grab a larger vehicle no problem. You'll get to central Paris much more easily and sit down to breakfast before the poor souls on the RER have even figured out which Metro line to switch to...

To go down to Orly for the second trip: why dont you make that decision based on how you get along with the Metro/RER during your stay? Personally I have no problem at all with it...so long as the kids carry their own bags lol

Bonnes vacances.

Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation

Merci!!!

I agree...you are right...what was I thinking!!!

I've contacted ALLONAVETTE, they are charging 69Euros. But they are a new company and I have no referrals on the,

Shuttle-Inter is charging $80Euros!!

I like your suggestion of $40Euros by just grabbing a taxi once we exit the airport. Half Price ...I like that!!!

Any other suggestion and comments is greatly appreciated!

Bonne journee!!

Maria

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transportation

We quite often use Elysée Cars with very good service (around 65 Euro for a ride). But a Taxi Parisien could do the job for more or less the same price with rhe bags supplement.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transportation

it is doable. i've handled 1 big and 1 small luggage by myself before (of course a stranger always offers help which i accept). but it's not worth it if you are 5. It will be much more convenient to take a taxi. Usually taxis here charge 3E for the 4th passenger (i think)and 1E per luggage. Shuttles are only worth their fees if you are travelling alone or a couple - and my past couple of experiences with them haven't been exactly memorable. But if you would still like a shuttle service, i've tried http://www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr and www.capitolshuttle.com .Capitol shuttle is better as it's cheaper and the drivers are nicer.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transportation

Maria,

You won't all fit a 'normal' taxi... ie a car.

But if you wait in the taxi line there are many minivan taxis. You and the family will fit one of those.

The price will probably be a little more than the 40 Euros mentioned as there is an extra charge for more than 3 passengers and bags. But you should be at the hotel for about 60 E. The RER alone would cost 42 euros for the 5 of you then taxi or metro to the hotel.

Do yourself a favour and take a cab!

Bon voyage!

Rob

Philadelphia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transportation

Bonjour,

Beware of Capitol Shuttle. I recently had a horrible experience with them. My flight from Philadelphia did not leave until the next day. I attempted to phone Capitol and explain the problem, well it was during a time when the regular staff were not present. The man that answered his english was not good and told me to call back. Of course, when I did finally reach someone, the woman yelled at me to tell me that I was a "no show" at the CDG airport. She went on to tell me that my flight arrived on time. Well, of course that flight arrived on time, it was the connecting flight out of London. The flight from Philadelphia never left.

Once I finally got to Paris, CDG, I phoned Capitol and asked about a pick up for me. They informed me that they did not have a car and hung up. I phoned back and was immediately told that there would be no refund.

So, I ended up taking a taxi paid for that in addition to what I had already paid to Capitol.

However, my return to CDG at the end of my trip, was not a problem. The Shuttle arrived at the apartment on time for the trip to the airport.

For some reason, this company does not believe in something may happen causing your flight not to arrive. In my case, we did not leave Philadelphia due to a hydrolic problem.

In the future, I will not recommend and or reserve with Capitol Shuttle again.

Ms. A. Marie

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transportation

In addition to the metered fare, charges are €2.95 for each person after the third, and €1 for each bag over 5 kg after the first. This is clearly posted in each taxi.

Your fare to Orly will be even less, as it's closer.

At CDG, just head for the taxi queue and keep together with your bags. The drivers are very efficient at matching parties to vehicles and you'll quickly be on your way.

For going to Orly, check with the front desk of your hotel. They will advise whether they need to phone a taxi the day before or just ahead of your departure to Orly.

With five people, you will not find a shuttle that is more economical, and if you do, be advised that no one has ever recommended any shuttle service with no complaints from others about no shows.

USA
Level Contributor
27,105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transportation

This is simple....just take a regular TAXI PARISIAN. There are 5 passenger mini-van style taxis to carry five passengers and their normal baggage readily available at the regular taxi rank, located just outside of every CDG arrival terminal The metered fare will run 50€-55€. There will also be official surcharges added to the metered fare--2,70€ for 4th & 5th passengers plus 1 € per bag (after the 1st). No reservations or pre-arrangements required. For the transfer out to ORLY, simply telephone for a TAXI PARISIAN pick-up at your hotel. The metered fare from Paris out to ORLY will be less, perhaps 30€-35€ plus the same surcharges.

9. Re: Public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 06:21