We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

New York State
Level Contributor
35 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

We will be in Paris the week of May 17th. We're looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate our daughter's 22nd birthday. She is a college student, fluent in French, who is studying to be a High School French teacher. Would love some place that would have waiters to sing "Happy Birthday" en francais to her. Is that a custom followed in France? We're staying near the Arc de Triomphe - but are open to any areas. Thanks for your help!!!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,079 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

No, it is not a custom in restaurants to have waiters sing at tables. I suggest your dd is old enough that perhaps a lovely and elegant dinner would be more appropriate,, and as a grown up that would not include singing waiters( that is sort of Pizza Hut or Steakhouse isn't it?) . I realize you want her to have a special experience,, but I don't think that would be it,, how about a dinner cruise or eating somewhere with a great view??

Paris, France
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

Hi

You won't get the singing waiters but for a good place with lovely decor consider the

Bouillon-Racine in the 6th near Place d'Odeon

http://www.bouillon-racine.com/

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

For singing waiters (if you like opera) try this http://www.lebelcanto.com/Paris.php?langue=en

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

That is so cool!

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,178 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

The witers turn down the lights, sing and parade through La Coupole for some birthdays. Not sure how to ensure that they do it for our daughter...

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

Interesting you should ask this, because just a couple of weeks ago we were in Paris at a restaurant where the waiters sang happy birthday to a patron (who was French). Our host, also French, took us to dinner at Bofinger, a beautiful, famous, truly classic Parisian brasserie near the Place de la Bastille. The service was old school and fabulous, the food was delicious, the decor was stunning . . . a great, festive place.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

we did a celebratory lunch at les Ombres which sits atop the museum Quai Branley -- the Eiffel Tower is visible through the glass/beamed roof. Most of the fellow guests were French when we were there and it was lovely. You can look on their web site to see if it 'feels right' -- and also see current menues

the lunch prix fix is quite reasonable -- dinner is pricey

I agree that elegant is the way to go -- and a place with atmosphere

there are traditional places like Bofinger that are beautiful and have great ambience -- food and service vary -- we had a good experience there 10 years ago

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,079 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

EminMaine, Bofinger is part of the Flo Brasserie chain, and La Coopole is also part of the the chain.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

I spent a birthday at Le Train Bleu in the Gare de Lyon a few years ago, and they made a fuss over me when someone in my party informed them.

It's a gorgeous restaurant. www.le-train-bleu.com

Brisbane
Level Contributor
641 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday Dinner for our 22 Year Old

I am also celebrating my birthday in Paris in Sept and am somewhat older than 22. We are travelling light with carry on backpacks and don't want to bring dressy clothes so we need some place that is relatively cheap, can go there casual but is uniquely French or has a view of a Paris icon like the Eiffel Tower or Arc de Triomphe. I don't need waiters to sing to me! We are staying near Bastille/Marais but could also go to the Latin Quarter.