We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50 Euro bills?

California City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
50 Euro bills?

Hi,

We're about to exchange some euros for our trip. Are the 50 Euro bills accepted in museums, restaurants, and metro, train station when you buy tickets?

Thanks.

durham, nc
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 50 Euro bills?

I had no problem!

Have fun!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50 Euro bills?

A lot of places in Europe don't like taking €50 notes, especially when buying Metro tickets or other small change items. Try to get €20 notes if you can. I understand there's a lot of forged €50 in circulation and spending one of these on a €2 Metro fare could raise suspicion

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
516 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50 Euro bills?

€50 notes are used all the time. You'll even get €100 notes from the cash dispenser, but like anywhere, if you try to buy a metro ticket for a couple of euro and present a €50 note, you won't be popular. But if you get €50 notes in California it won't take you long to get change in shops, supermarkets, restaurants etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50 Euro bills?

You would do better to get say €100 in small bills (€20 or smaller) before you leave USA, then use ATMs to get more cash as needed.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50 Euro bills?

There are a lot of forgeries (apparently) so 50 euro notes are examined. The amount you spend is not the issue, 2 drinks in a cafe warant a cursory look at the note, 50 euro note for 50 euros of petrol has been a pain for me several times when refuelling .......I have been looked at suspiciously, the manager summoned, car registration noted, form filled out....but every time the note has been accepted.

Seems to depend on the policy of the company management.

California City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 50 Euro bills?

I see, I'll get more smaller amount bills. Thanks a lot for all your input!

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50 Euro bills?

Plenty of shops have signs saying they won't accept 200 or 500 euro notes, but in 7 years I've never come across a problem with a 50 euro note (except of course if buying a 50 cent candy bar and so taking all the spare change out of the cash register).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 50 Euro bills?

I've often seen people in small supermarkets using 500 euro notes - don't think you're going to have too many problems with a 50 euro note. Perhaps not so good on the buses, but certainly not a problem in the places you mention.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 50 Euro bills?

I've never had a problem with them.

Honestly, they get accepted...and scrutinized...in the same way that $50 and $100 bills do in the U.S.

10. Re: 50 Euro bills?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 06:16