We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

I am travelling to Paris from London in July for the first time on the Eurostar but also really want to go to barcelona Spain before flying back to London for a week.

What would be the best way in July to travel to Barcelona from paris without having to travel return on Eurostar and then catch a plane with say easyJet to barcelona from London Heathrow/Gatwick.

This is my first time to Europe so little confused?

Thanks

rachael

Australia

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Europe
Europe
World
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
545 Reviews
from US$73.00*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
656 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$122.00*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$124.60*
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

You can take a train (time consuming) or fly Easyjet from Paris to Barcelona.

If you have a return ticket on the Eurostar, you can take Easyjet back to Paris and then Eurostar to London, otherwise you can fly Barcelona London.

Check the Easyjet website. The lowest fares in July seem to be €52 - what you need to pay will depend on your dates.

Don't forget that published fares on Easyjet don't include checked baggage, credit card fees, etc. etc.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
London
London
England, UK
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

We always take the overnight train on this route. The fare varies depending on how far in advance you buy your ticket and which class and sleeping accommodation you select.

We did the numbers considering the fact that we wouldn't have to pay for transportation to the airport, pay all the extra fees for overweight luggage, etc., and the transportation from the airport in Spain, as well as that night's hotel room, and the train was a viable option. Additionally, we got to see some of the countryside.

We travel to Madrid, I don't know what the options are for Barcelona. You may just have to connect to another train from Madrid, I don't usually do the planning of the Spanish legs when we travel. My husband learned his Spanish as a child living in a Spanish speaking country, so his is much more idiomatic and natural than mine.

Check both SNFC and Renfe (Spanish Rail) for this trip, and see what you think. Do the point to point numbers with all the extras and make your comparisons. We generally take the train in both directions, but you may want to fly one way or the other. Try to stay with the French and Spanish language sites. If you select English as the language, you'll probably be bounced to RailEurope and its higher fare. Opt to print your own ticket, if possible, or to pick up the ticket in France.

To print your own ticket, you'll probably have to have an address in France. Use your hotel's. To pick up the ticket in France you'll need to produce the same credit card used for the purchase, and the reservation number shown on the confirmation. Be sure to take that page with you and the credit card used for the transaction, even if it expires between the purchase and pick-up.

It all seems very complicated, but it isn't, and the convenience of getting on a train in the middle of Paris, and off it in the middle of wherever, can't be overstated. The train is so much easier than a flight.

Bonne chance et bon voyage.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Florida
Level Contributor
17,361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

There is an overnight train Paris-Barcelona... I plan to use this for some future trip...

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

another reason to thanks google...googling "trains Paris to Barcelona" gave me: spanish-rail.co.uk/service/info/international

click om timetable and pricing on the left side.

also check www.seat61.com/Spain.htm to compare prices. The night train Paris-Barcelona start at Paris' Gare d' Austerlitz and goes across the Auvergne to Toulouse and from there to Perpignan then down along the Costa Brava to Barcelona.

Trains Paris-Madrid go via Bordeaux then Hendaye/Irun, Burgos, Valladolid and finally Madrid. A longer route.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
La Gare
La Gare
1,293 Reviews
Paris, France
Auvergne
Auvergne
Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France
Toulouse
Toulouse
Haute-Garonne, France
Perpignan
Perpignan
Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Hendaye
Hendaye
Basque Country, France
Burgos
Burgos
Province of Burgos, Spain
Valladolid
Valladolid
Province of Valladolid, Spain
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

check out skyscanner.com to find the best low cost airline fares.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

flight with click air, 50 euros, leaves at 10:00 AM from Orly

Mentioned in this post
Orly
Orly
Val-de-Marne, France
Denver
Level Contributor
124 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

Unless you're willing to spring for a cabin on the train, I would absolutely fly. It's cheap and easy. Easy Jet racks up the fees, and RyanAir flies too far north. We've flown Vueling for next to nothing. Besides seats that are amazingly close together, it was a quick, cheap trip. The Barca airport is easy to get in and out of as long as it's not rush house.

London, Paris and Barca are great picks. You're going to have a blast.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brisbane
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

Great thank you so much for the advice

S

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

Fantastic- ThankYou!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
123 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easiest and best way to get from Paris to Barcelona?

I've done CDG-BCN about 20 times on the last couple years, so i can advise you honestly to find a cheap flight on VUELING or IBERIA.

They both have great bargain tickets on internet, very interesting if you avoid weekend departures.

They provides online chekin and seat booking, very usefull, only need to be at the airport 40 minutes before take-off.

I guess you can find a ticket around 40-60 EUR one way, with 8,80EUR to go to the airport (CDG T1) by bus (Roissybus), a 45' trip.

In Barcelona, the airport is only 15minutes from the city, maybe 4-5 EUR by bus.

Mentioned in this post
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona