We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Ticket Machines

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Ticket Machines

Hi, does anyone know what the largest amount of currency you can stick in the Metro ticket machines? At CDG airport I'm wanting to purchase a packet of Carnet's and I only have euro's that are in 50's.

nebraska
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

Why not just buy yourself a bottle of water, or a pastry on your way to the ticket machine, and then you will have smaller change to use if needed.

Missouri
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

lol, very true!

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

The ticket machines at CDG are RER machines, for starters do they sell 'normal' Carnets for travel on zones 1-2 in central Paris? - I am assuming this is what you are after, and are you aware you have to have a separate ticket for CDG to Central Paris? If you are wanting a normal carnet and dont have enough change if you wait until you get to Paris as there is usually at least 1 machine that takes notes at stations.

Lastly the ticket machines at CDG for the trip to Central Paris only take coins or cards with a chip, so you will have to make sure you get at least 12€ in change if the machines do sell the normal carnets

Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

Between the RER ticket machines and the ticket office in terminal 2, there is a change machine that takes up to a 20 euro bill. I did not see any option for metro tickets.

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

Thats good to know Kajon

Missouri
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

That really helps, I was thinking I could purchase the Carnet for the Metro at CDG.

Also I was thinking that the Carnet works on both metro and rer which I assume now that is not true?

Our ultimate goal is to make it to the Ecole Militaire metro stop so we would have to buy a rer ticket for two at terminal 2 then take rer line B to St. Michel Notre Dame metro get off and the find a machine or ticket window to purchase the metro carnet?.. and then hop on rer line C to invalides, then get on metro 8 to Ecole Militaire? I hope this is the right way of doing this?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

Speer,

It looks like you have the right route plan and I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that once you arrive at St. Michel that you can just switch over to the metro to Invalides and then again to Ecole and use the RER ticket to exit at Ecole.

The RER ticket will be about 9 euros each and because of the higher rate, I think you can utilize it until the end of your route.

That is a lot of stairs and walking with your luggage..........

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

Yes Kajon you are right, I was busying typing a reply when my laptop died!

Sorry if I confused you Speer, I think now you can buy a Carnet at CDG, but you cant use one of the tickets in that carnet, you have to buy a separate ticket for 8.40E which is good from the Airport to your stop, you will have to change trains but you use the same ticket.

I found most Metro/RER stations had at least one machine accepting notes, in the top right of the machines there are drawings of what they accept, ie coins or notes and coins.

You can use a Carnet ticket from one end of a metro line to the other, but on the RER the carnet ticket can only be used in Central Paris, if you look on a Metro map and start at the center and pick any RER line, follow it to the outside of the map, before long you will see a wavy black line disecting the RER line this is how far you can go on the Carnet ticket any further and you need a separate ticket, ie to go to Versaille for example.

Have you see the www.parisbytrain.com website it is very good, pictures and everything.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

I was in Paris last week and the RATP machines would only accepy 20 Euro or smaller.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,081 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro Ticket Machines

Note: I believe the ticket kiosks for the RER at CDG may accept *only* euro coins or chip cards, while kiosks in Paris stations may have different options, including accepting US-type credit cards and euro bills.

However I have also read that some kiosks at CDG do accept US-type cards - but not every kiosk, and where? T1 and T2 or only one or the other?

Basically, I save up the coins and so think I'm covered to buy the RER CDG/Paris tickets regardless.