We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

what would be the appropriate time to plan a first trip to Paris? We were thinking of [possibly doing two destinations but not sure yet.. how long would we need to really get a good taste of Paris?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

As long as you can possibly manage. In March we made our third trip and stayed 10 nights. We did almost nothing we had done before. I'd go back tomorrow and do more things, or maybe repeat a few, but it's a wonderful city that is worth all the time you can possibly give it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

I was in Paris for the first time last September for 9 nights and most definitely didn't see everything! I think you would need over a week to get a small taste of Paris and much more to get a good taste! 9 days was enough to do a good amount of the touristy things, but not enough to do everything we wanted. We probably could have spent a good 2 weeks there before we accomplished most of what we wanted but I guess it's all really up to you and what you want to see or do.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

I'd say at least five days, a week would be better, ten days if you plan on a day trip or two.

There is so much to see and do, no matter how much time you have, people tend to overplan and cover far too much in the time available.

The best bet is to underplan, relax and enjoy your visit, and assume you'll be back (probably many times) no matter how many days you ultimately decide to spend in Paris.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

I have been to Paris about 38 times and I never get enough of the place. I have been to the same museums several times, only because they might have a special exhibit at that time, or as to Louvre, it has so many sections to it. I just got back on Tues night. From May 29 thru about June 4, the town sparkled and I walked and walked, sat in the parks, people watched. Then it cooled down, sunny and gloomy, drizzles, wind, and finally on June 8 "real" rain. For myself I would not go from the middle of June thru the end of August. Heat, and tons of tourists. To get a "good" taste of Paris takes forever.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,077 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

Kind of unfair to you, as this forum is full of Paris-philes. We all love it, but I recognized that this is not true for everyone. In all fairness, 5 days would be my personal minimum.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

I've been to Paris almost annually, once or twice a year, over the last 30-plus years, but to be realistic, I'd say rent an apartment, slow down, and stay 7 nights. Happy Travels!

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

I would emphasize the "under plan" advice and the "slow down" advice. If you have a relatively short time (which, for Paris, is anything under two weeks), you are not going to see even a majority of the offerings, anyway. So pick a minimum number of "musts," and otherwise, relax and just walk the streets.

8. Re: 1st trip to Paris- How long should we plan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2009, 05:44