We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
140 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

My daughter and I have just returned from 4 wonderful days in Paris.We flew into CDG and got the RER to Luxembourg, found it very straightforward to use the ticket machine. We dropped our bags at our apartment “My Little Home in Paris’ (perfectplaces.com) on Rue Rollin and headed off for a coffee and a walk down Rue Mouffetard, buying picnic stuff on the way.

Our first stop was the Pantheon, where I bought a 4 day museum pass. My daughter is under 26 so was free although she had to show her passport. As we are not very clued up on French history we didn’t find it that interesting so after a while we headed to the Jardin du Luxembourg for our picnic.

In the afternoon we visited the Cluny museum to see the Lady and the Unicorn Tapestries then walked up to the Seine for a glimpse of Notre Dame before heading over to the Musee Rodin via St Germain. By the time we arrived our feet were aching so after a quick look round the house we sat in the gardens to rest and enjoy seeing the sculptures among the flowers. The gardens stay open till 6.45 so finally we headed to the metro, bought a carnet from the machine and headed back to our apartment. We both felt exhausted by this time so decided to pick up a bottle of wine, salad and chicken from the supermarket and stay in for the evening.

On Sunday morning we walked to Notre Dame arriving just before 10 for the Gregorian Mass, we found the service to be a moving experience. We then decided to check out the queue for the towers, we waited about 30 mins which was far less than we were expecting. The climb up seemed fairly easy but my legs ached for the rest of our holiday. The view from the top was amazing.

Next we headed over to the Concierge and Ste Chapelle via the flower and bird market. Personally I didn’t find the Concierge worth the visit but a bonus was that my daughters free entrance ticket had a money off voucher for a Seine cruise. Again we were lucky with queues and walked straight through security at Ste Chapelle. The lower floor was impressive but the upper chapel was absolutely breathtaking and we sat for ages just admiring the colours and the detail.

We walked to Ile St Louis and bought picnic supplies which we ate in the little park at the tip of the island before treating ourselves to Berthillon ice cream. Next we headed over to the Marais and spent a very enjoyable afternoon strolling round and sunbathing in Place du Vosges before going to L’as du Falafel to eat. We walked back to our apartment via the Pompidou Centre where we took the escalator to the top for the views. Modern art is not really our thing so we didn’t visit the galleries.

In the evening we got the metro back to Notre Dame and boarded the Vedettes du Pont Neuf cruise at 9.30. The boat had just turned at the Eiffel Tower when the lights came on and we were able to see the tower twinkle, this took everyone’s attention much to the frustration of the guide who kept asking for “your intention please” as she tried to tell us about the other sights we were passing. After disembarking we walked over to the Louvre, seeing the pyramid all lit up was stunning and we spent ages there taking photos.

Monday morning was raining but we had planned to visit the Louvre so headed off on the metro and arrived at about 9.15, we were amazed to find no queue at the pyramid entrance so went straight in through security and down to the ticket booths. My daughter had to get her free entry ticket but there was no delay and we picked up a guide and headed straight to see Mona Lisa. After this we wandered around for about 3 hours, we had made a rough plan of what we wanted to see but both agreed the museum is quite confusing. Highlights for me were the Medici cycle of paintings by Rubens, Napoleons Apartments, Apollo Gallery and Cupid and Psyche. It was also fun to people watch, especially those on a “quick lets take a photo of this and find the next thing” visit, we preferred to sit a while and just soak it all in.

The rain eased off a little in the afternoon and after a delicious lunch in a café in Passage de Choisseul we went to the Opera House. We had to queue for about 20 minutes for tickets, we were amazed by how opulent it was and thoroughly recommend a visit. Next we walked down to the Tuileries and the Orangerie, there was quite a long queue here so we joined the museum pass line which went in quickly and luckily they didn’t seem to mind about my daughter not having a pass and just issued her with a free ticket. It is worth noting that at every attraction we visited except the Musee du Cluny they asked to see her passport and issued a ticket. The way the water lily paintings are displayed is fantastic, you can really appreciate them in the round.

Once we got to the Place de la Concorde we decided our legs just wouldn’t carry us much further so we got on a bus up the Champs Elysees, it was a nicer street than I had expected, it certainly seems to have smartened up but we didn’t regret not walking along it. At the Arc de Triomphe we took the lift to the top but didn’t linger as it was quite a grey afternoon although it was fun to watch the cars on the roundabout. We went back to our apartment on the bus, we were able to use the same ticket on both buses that we took to get back.

Monday evening was our last in Paris so despite the rain we went to the Eiffel Tower. We got there about 9.15 and were at the top by 10pm, it was the thing my daughter had most wanted to do and it was worth it to see her face when we stepped out but personally I think the second level is as good. It was interesting to see Paris lit up and to pick out the landmarks but it was so windy I was happy to get back down. We were back at ground level for the 11pm sparkle.

Tuesday was our last day and we got the metro to the D’Orsay for about 9.15 and were pleasantly surprised to find a fairly short queue and got through security within 10 minutes of it opening. Following the helpful tips on this forum we headed straight to the back and the escalators up which gave us about 20 minutes or so on the top floor with hardly anyone about. We were both in agreement that this was the best art gallery we have ever been to. We spent the afternoon in Montmartre, enjoying a lovely lunch in Place des Abesses before heading up to the Sacre Couer then down to the cemetery to see Degas grave. I was glad I had printed a plan off, its easy to get lost. Our last stop was the Moulin Rouge for a quick photo before getting the bus back to collect our bags and get the train to the airport.

All in all a wonderful 4 days in Paris, tired feet but so many fantastic memories.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

lovely report thank you !

Philadelphia...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

Hello, My boyfriend and I are going to Paris in July...I wanted to get a museum pass...I thought it was only free for 18 and under? But you mentioned your daughter is under 26, and It was free for her? I am under 26, so I was wondering about this...Thanks

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

At most museums, entry is free for people 18-25 - with EU passports - and for those from other countries, sometimes there is reduced admission fee.

Philadelphia...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

Ok,I see, thanks, good to know : )

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

Thank you, lovely report - glad you enjoyed yourselves!!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

Lzzl, thanks for your lovely report. I was interested because my son and I are visiting Paris in a couple of weeks and I had planned to get the museum pass for myself and my son being 20 years old and an EU citizen would get in free or at a reduced price. I was concerned though, that we would have to wait in the normal queue to show his passport, but you say in your report that you were able to skip the lines. This has put my mind at rest!

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
140 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

Hi Mid133

Yes its only for EU passport holders that admission is free under 26. I guess thats why they check the passport at each museum.

However I would recommend the museum pass, it means you can pop into a few places you probably wouldn't visit if you have to pay 8/9 euros a visit, for instance at the Cluny Museum we really only wanted to see the tapestries and at the Pompidou to us it was the novelty of the external escalator that was the attraction.

Enjoy your trip

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
140 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

Hi Chris49

I have to say that queueing was the one thing I was dreading having read about people waiting hours, maybe we were just lucky with our days and timing but overall Paris was not as busy as I had expected. Just make sure your son has his passport with him.

At the D'Orsay you can not use the museum pass entrance but must line up for a free ticket for your son at entrance A, otherwise most waiting seems to be for security which you can not avoid. I must say I was impressed by how seriously the museums took this, most have an airport style scanner you need to pass through

Hope you enjoy your trip

9. Re: Impressions of Paris...our June trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 07:18