We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location with Children

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Location with Children

We are looking to rent a flat - and the following one is in our budget and big enough for 3 kids. I Googled it on the map - but as I am so unfamiliar with Paris - I can not tell if this neighborhood is okay or if it is close enough to walk to the metro - maps can be deceiving... The address is 18 bis rue Henri Barbusse, Paris, france - any information would be appreciated.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Location with Children

I don't have Rue Barbusse on my detailed Atlas of Paris..what district is that? (all addresses in Paris will end by 750XX, for example 75004 means 4th district, 75012 means 12th etc. this is very important as you can tell right away where in Paris it is.

Never mind..I googled that name.. it is in the 5th district, the Latin Quarter. Have you tried Googling that district? the 5th, 6th ,7th districts are HUGELY popular with US tourists..Despite that (just joking) this is a very pleasant area. You do know of course that, like most of Paris, the streets are narrow, without trees..nothing like a US suburban residential area. There is the justly famous Luxembour Gardens a 5 minutes walk--more if very small kids--on the West side and the less known (but great) botanical garden "Jardin des Plantes" 20 min to the East (children love their cleverly arranged collection of old stuffed animals--real ones, not toys)

Your street has Luxembourg station at the North end and Port Royal at the South end. Both are stations on the RER B (straigt from/to CDG airport) but the price is the same as the metro. You also have metro stations 10 minutes away both North (line 10) and East (line 7). All in all a great area and a convenient location

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location with Children

Does anyone know if there are any bakeries, stores, etc. nearby?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location with Children

There are a couple bakeries on St Jacques and a butcher and veggie vendor. Further away, but a pleasant walk is the Mouffetard market area and the Place Monge roving market. Cafes are all over the place...

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location with Children

Hi -

You'd have to make a concerted effort to starve in Paris. Every neighbourhood has cafes, patisseries, boulangeries, etc. After all, the locals have to eat, too.

5. Re: Location with Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 05:18