We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10th Canal St Martin area

Fajara, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
10th Canal St Martin area

Can anyone tell me anything about this area??

Is it easy to get to the main attractions from and is it a safe area?

Thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

This thread on another forum is about the area:

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
896 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

I think it depends on the specific address as some parts can be a little less desirable. IMHO, I'd visit this area but wouldn't stay there. From a quick search

wikitravel.org/en/Paris/10th_arrondissement

Fajara, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

Thanks very helpful but still cant make up my mind where to stay.

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

Please give us the actual address. It's a much more happening area that the Upper Left Bank, actual people live there, plenty of trendy places to eat, shop and go out. Depending on your metro connection, easier to move around Paris too.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

"The main attractions" being roughly along the Seine river, the canal is off the beaten touristy track. But it is now a popular bobo week end outing for the locals. And again, it is safe.

More links: geobeats.com/videoclips/…canal-st-martin

About the latest bobo areas, in French but the addresses do not need to be translated lefigaro.fr/scope/articles-restaurants/2009/…

Main attractions: 1)canal boat tours http://www.canauxrama.com/e_index.html

2) la Villette parc with Cite des Sciences museum + concerts + exhibitions + free cinema on the lawn in July and August

3) Paris Plage July 20-August 20 '09 by bassin de la Villette

Bars and restaurants: Chez Adel, le Cambodge, le Verre Vole, les Voisins, Antoine et Lili, l'Atmosphere, le rendez-vous des quais, le bar Ourcq, to name just a few (there are so many, so have your pick)

Clubs: Favela Chic, Bizz'Art (ex Opus), le Point Ephemere, Cabaret Sauvage

Shopping: clothing and photography/design rue Beaurepaire, rue de Lancry, and quai de Valmy by the Recollets gardens

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

I have stayed for most of my last visits tp Paris. And we love the area because it is off the beaten path and we don't feel like living in the middle of a tourist area. We love the 5th and the 6th but would not stay there. Canal St-Martin area is residential partly but has lots of small shops where locals go, the market days on Richard Lenoir, the proximity of restaurants and shops on Oberkampf.

Easy access by bus (e.g. no 75) to the Rue de Rivoli area, Hôtel-de-Ville, Beaubourg and from Hôtel-de-Ville a few minutes walk from Notre-Dame and the Quartier Latin. Get off from bus 75 at Pont-Neuf and hop on 72 to go towards the Louvres and the Place de la Concorde. From Hôtel-de-Ville connect on no 96 close to the Tour St-Jacques and it will bring you to Montparnasse by Rue de Rennes.

Area is safe and we were never afraid to go out at night (BTW we lived on Rue de Folie-Méricourt in the Modern Living flat from Yetunde Oshodi's Feels Like Home In Paris, a VERY good agency)

Fajara, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

Thank you all very much, but after all the information i have digested i realize it is just too far out for me and my daughter. think i will stay with my original booking near Eiffel tower although it is a hotel not an apartment.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

Eiffel Tower is in the 7th and a lot less practical IMO to Canal St-Martin, unless you are close to the 6th. It is more of a residential area. But still if you do not mind walking, you can cross the Seine on Pont de l'Alma and walk towards Champs-Élysée. If you want to go towards St-Germain and Quartier Latin, then the RER is your best bet (you can get off at Cluny-Sorbonne for instance)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

Totally agree with yymca6, the 7th around the Eiffel tower is really NOT happening, although close to the Tower and Branly museum, or Palais de Tokyo and Cite de l'Architecture across both bridges.

portland
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 10th Canal St Martin area

I am currently renting a flat here and am very happy. Feels very much like Paris. Very safe. Feels very local and young. Lots going on with bars and restaurants and shops. Very central if you use the Metro. But feels like you are away from it all in a little oasis because of the Canal which imparts a peaceful sensibility. But I would be a bit wary of some parts. Just look at Google Street View to check out your options and you can pretty much tell the flavor of the location.