We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SNCF website problem

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
SNCF website problem

Hi all,

I was trying to book a RT ticket from Paris to Toulouse. Unfortunately, the website has some hick-ups and I could not complete the transaction. Because I am currently in the States I called the 1-800. Unfortunately, it was a long wait and an additional 35 dollars charge for phone booking. I gave up! My question is, will the price be much higher on the day of or a few days prior my travel?

Many thanks in advance.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SNCF website problem

1. are you inside the 90-day purchase window? can't buy 'em online before 90 days

2. how far did you get in the process? or, what was the hiccup?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SNCF website problem

Hi Travel,

From Paris to Toulouse on July 19 to 27. It gave me a msg something like "...web problem...please call this 1-800 number..." I did not think that all the seats are gone. I had this problem last night and this morning. I am now getting really nervous because I need to go to Toulouse to meet up with a friend of mine.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SNCF website problem

Forgot to say that the date is for July of this year.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,030 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SNCF website problem

What site were you trying to use? If you got a 1-800 number to call, it sounds as if you were using an American site such as RailEurope. Note that the SNCF site sends you to RailEurope if you say you are from USA. RailEurope charges a substantial fee for its services.

You will get a better price if you go to www.tgv-europe.com and say you are from Great Britain. If you are offered the really cheap PREMs ticket, you can print it off your computer. If you are offered another ticket, say you want to collect it in France. You will be given a reference, and can then get the ticket by going to any SNCF station, or an SNCF boutique, with the reference and the *exact* same card you used to make the booking.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SNCF website problem

Thanks all for helping. Actually I just tried the website and it worked. I got a one way restricted ticket from Paris to Toulouse for 110 US dollars, which is very cheap IMHO.

If I were to say that I am from GB, will that cause a problem with the credit card payment? Many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,030 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SNCF website problem

You paid more than you had to. $110 is about €78.50; and the TGV-Europe site is currently offering Paris-Toulouse for between €39.90 and €59.30 for travel on the morning of 21 July.

Saying you are from GB has no effect on the credit card payment. Why should it? SNCF charges your card in euros and has no interest in the currency in which the cardholder is billed.

Paris
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SNCF website problem

SydneyNick,

He's traveling on the 19th, and the SNCF site shows rates between €53 and €84 for a morning departure, so it's not as big a price difference.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,030 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SNCF website problem

He said he wanted to travel between 19 and 27 July.

Centennial, CO
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SNCF website problem

Check out "the man in seat 61" for comprehensive info on trains, including how to get the french train deals rather than raileurope. I recall he says that it's not only fees, but raileurope just does not offer the lower fare tickets available directly from the french site. a key is to select picking up the ticket in france; that keeps you from being kicked over to raileurpoe.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: SNCF website problem

I believe it is "seat61.com". I used the advice on it to book a Thalys ticket I hope to pick up next week in Paris.