We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for extended family to celebrate 40 Birthday in Paris

Western Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for extended family to celebrate 40 Birthday in Paris

Eleven of my wife's family and friends are meeting in Paris to celebrate her 40th birthday in mid September. Our group includes her parents in their late sixties, 2 of her aunts, our three young sons and thier cousin all aged less than 9 and 4 of us in our mid to late 30's. None of us have been to Paris before. We hoped to do something during the day with the children and her extended family and the four of us do something in the evening. We are looking for suggestions to make the day special. The children are well behaved and used to eating at formal restaurants however something less formal like a cruise might be more interesting for them. In the evening we would like to eat somewhere nice then go to a nice bar or club. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Level Contributor
351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for extended family to celebrate 40 Birthday in Paris

SOunds like a wonderful idea. My husband and I took our school-age children to Taillevent and the staff could not have been nicer. But an even better idea might be dinner (or lunch) at the Jules Verne restaurant in the Eiffel Tower. The food is quite good and the views spectacular, plus there's an express elevator to whisk you to the second level (otherwise it's a climb or a long wait in line for an elevator. We saw many families there. We also rented an apartment and would heartily recommend it--really gives people a chance to live like Parisians and have room to spread out. We found that many hotels can't really handle families of 4 or more (without spendng a fortune). A boat ride is essential but there are a few that do something different including canal trips into some of the quieter neighborhoods. We did a private bike tour with Bike About Tours and were happy with that too. Trips to Tulleries for the trampolines were very popular with my kids.

Having planned something similiar for my 50th (in NYC) it's not a bad idea to plan for one day as a group and then give people different options to do a few different things for the remaining time (gathering once a day for a group activity/meal perhaps). It can be hard to get people to agree en masse over the period of several days

2. Re: Ideas for extended family to celebrate 40 Birthday in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 07:25