We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap Water

Fair Oaks...
Level Contributor
346 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Tap Water

I would like to here from Americans on this question. In 3 days we are off to Paris,but even after 30 years I can't forget how sick I got in Mexico because I drank the water! ! I do not want to pay for bottled water if I don't have to,so I need to here from any americans that got sick after drinking tap water or eating ice in Paris. Also if you did get sick where do you think it happen IE; the name of the the place to eat,hotel etc, and on what date did you get sick?

Thanks in advance

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
482 reviews
from US$72.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
577 reviews
from US$46.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$332.80*
Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tap Water

I have drunk the tap water in Paris many times. No problems.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,367 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tap Water

I am an American who moved here with children and not one of us has EVER had a problem with the water.

Having worked closely with someone int he food services industry, I can tell you that knowing that someone else got sick at a certain restaurant on a certain date is; 1) nearly impossible [was it the ice at breakfast, or the water at lunch?] 2) utterly useless [did one staffer forget to wish his/her hands? Was it a random cross contamination?].

There is a reason they call it Montazuma's revenge, not St Louis'.

PS are your a troll, I mean really, the date?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
416 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tap Water

Travelingotter....relax. Paris isn't Mexico 30 years ago. We were just in Paris and drank water everywhere (except the Wallace fountains). Got bottled water to begin with but quickly became so expensive that we just began refilling our bottles with tap water. Also used ice wherever we could. I always ordered a carafe d'eau with meals. No problem...and I've got a touchy stomach. Someone mentioned somewhere that Paris water has a strong chemical taste, but we didn't find that at all.

Have a great trip. You'll love Paris!

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tap Water

Paris water is the best-tasting tap water we've ever tried. Since the city water distribution system was updated over the past few years, it's prevailed in taste-tests against opponents like Evian in the bottled-water market.

It really is good. The Mayor launched a campaign last year to get Parisians to stop buying environmentally-unfriendly bottled water and start drinking Paris tap water. Now that there is no more lead pipe in the city water system, I'm fine with drinking tap water in the city.

There hasn't been a concern for water-born pathogens in Parisian water since WW2 and even that was attributed to the nazi control of the city infrastructure.

USA
Level Contributor
28,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tap Water

Paris is NOT some third-world cess-pit. The public water is just fine to drink right out of the tap. We've drunk the Paris public water for years and never had the slightest reaction to it.....EVER. When we dine at restaurants we usually request '..un cafafe de l'eau, sil vous plait...'--ordinary tap water, rather than most bottled mineral and other waters. For most people who experience the sort of physical difficulties you describe, the reason can more often than not, be traced back to a substantive change of regular daily diet, routine and schedule.

Just to relieve any other decades old stereotypes you may hold...there's also toilet paper and flush toilets in the bathrooms and hot running water in the shorwers.

6. Re: Tap Water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2005, 05:12
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tap Water

I always drink the tap water in Paris and have never gotten ill from it. In fact, I save some euro because I refill my water bottle in my hotel room. At the restaurants I never order bottled water which is really expensive. Instead I always request un carafe d'eau.

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tap Water

You say you want to hear about Americans being sick in Paris, but i don't think there is such a thing! You got sick 30 years ago, in Paris you can drink liters of tap water without any prblems!

Miami
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tap Water

I do smell a trollish scent in the original post but just in case , I prefer spending my money in a good bottle of wine rather than in bottled water so always have tap water in restaurants w/o consequences.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tap Water

I just spent a week drinking the tap water, and that aspect of my health is fine. I would worry more about how the second hand smoke will affect you - THAT is a big deal over there if you have even a mild sensitivity to it.