We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasons for liking this forum

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Topic
Reasons for liking this forum

My reasons to participate in this and other forums of TA basically is to learn from reading trip experiences of other travelers as well as inputting my little grain of salt. Everybody have different tastes in their travels; some love fine dining others are eager to go in a shopping spree or Euro Disney while others prefer museums and monuments. Some place importance in staying in 5 star hotels, others like me are more frugal and a clean and good location hotel will suffice. But every well- intentioned post is valid and if you agree or not ,you have the right to post your dissent. Nobody has the right to be the owner of the truth.

Undeniably the love to travel should be the first of our reasons to participate in this forum but of course we also entertain ourselves with it. We laugh by reading certain comments or even rejoice by romantic couples asking for best places to propose. I consider most of you travel partners and friends though probably will never know you personally.

That’s why I am saddened when I read post that are politically tainted or disgraced by the use of generalizations, prejudice or belittlement of other people.

My post is a continuation of Truffaut ‘s Courtesy post and my way of expressing my thoughts. Sorry for the bad grammar but English is not my first language.

Only hoping happy future trips for all of you,

Travelophile

Miami
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

Sorry meant to say Truffaut ‘s Tripadvisor Rudeness.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
328 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

I am absolutely addicted to this forum and am on here every chance I get. I sometimes am puzzled by the quick turn into judgement and/or political commentary in some of the posts when by and large people are here for an honest and open sharing of information. There was a post that was later removed suggesting that someone kill their dog rather than waste time missing it (???) and some other what I consider wacko posts -- but I've come to understand that since the internet provides anonymity and we cannot see the person as they write we all too often misinterpret his or her meaning. Someone yesterday left a trip report that I took to be filled with dry humor to "spice" up the report but many others thought it was mean spirited and whiny - I didn't take it that way. And Truffaut leaves hilarious replies. I look forward to a little humor in the info but I guess humor is in the eye of the beholder. This is a long way of saying I appreciate all of the posters and when I see something I don't agree with or offends me in some way I use my back button.

I cannot wait to use all this great info in three weeks! Thank you all.

Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

I came across this website whilst researching our upcoming trip in November and have found it amazing. The advice and help that posters give is much appreciated and I have been amazed at how willing people are to post quick, helpful replies. I guess this is my way of saying thanks as without the help of the great people on here my trip planning would have taken 3 times as long and I would have missed some great sites.

Oakdale, Connecticut
Level Contributor
415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

What's NOT to love about this forum!!!

So many of the posters are truly friendly people who take their time and share their knowledge with us! How valuable the info is at times! We are going the first week of November, and I've got almost everything plotted out, day by day, and much of it is due to the forum! There are just some insights that you can't find in a guidebook. (BUT you still need one of those anyways!)

Thanks to all who have contributed to my travel addiction! =)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

I agree with Ausfamily. Allthough Australia is the best country on earth to live in and Melbourne is the World's most Liveable City! we are isolated and it takes a lot of money and time travelling to see what Europe has to offer. I am sure all of us who live Downunder and use TA have found it invaluable.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

The France/Paris Forum (togeher with the London one) are very unique... you get lots of insights, opinions, arguments, thougt sharing etc... which you would not find in most other Forums (or Foras... spelling) such as the Spanish, Swiss, Austrian, Greek or Egyptian. I wonder why... all others basically stick to question & reply. And I guess this is the source of interest and addiction to the Paris Forum.

One may also raise a few questions related to this subject:

(1) do you think "some" travellers' over reliance on getting information and solutions from the Forum ... kind of kills curiosity and own initiative ? ... and it may also lead to many just following the same path/visits/restaurants instead of going out there and trying new things ?

(2) on the business front, do you think more people - because of TA and other similar sites - are now more willing to travel independently and not use organized tours ... compared to say 10 or 15 years ago (pre internet time) ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

Well said LordByron

You are right on - although I might not agree with your comments about Melbourne (just joking).

It's such a trek to Paris that you want to do your homework!

Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

Sherif...I think your observations re your suggestions no. 2 are very applicable. The internet has opened up a world of information that was just not accessable through travel agents in the past and gives travellers a confidence to DIY. I guess in regards to no.1 then perhaps there are people who do not look outside of the advice but for me it just opens up a whole world of ideas so I can use both the suggestions and have room to explore.

LordByron...I am also not sure of the Melbourne comment ;o) but seeing I haven't lived there I really can't say and as you also mention Roundtheworld, we are an isolated nation and it does cost a fortune, so these forums certainly give peace of mind seeing we can get some solid homework done.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

Stop the presses - "World's Most Livable" doesn't equate to "Overall Quality oif Life" Here's a bit more accurate rating scale...hard to imagine a country with one of the highest rates of depression and suicide being termed "most livable."

Mercer’s overall quality of life survey has revealed that Geneva and Zurich remain the world’s top-scoring cities with 106.5 points. Other high-scoring cities include Vancouver and Vienna in joint 3rd place (score 106).

Cities in Europe, New Zealand, and Australia continue to rank highly. Munich and Düsseldorf both move up the rankings, from 10th and 12th place respectively, to share joint 5th place with Frankfurt. Munich’s rise is due to more efficient waste removal systems and better housing for expatriates, while Düsseldorf’s transport and standards of international schooling have improved. Bern, Copenhagen, and Sydney are pushed down slightly to rank 8 with scores of 105.

In the US, Honolulu and San Francisco rank highest in joint 25th position (score 102), mainly because they have lower crime levels than other US cities. Boston, New York, Portland, and Washington follow in positions 36, 39, 42, and 42 respectively (score 100.5, 100, 99, 99), while Houston ranks lowest at position 68 (score 94).

The analysis was based on an evaluation of 39 quality of life criteria for each city, including political, social, economic, and environmental factors, personal safety and health, education, transport, and other public services.

Baghdad remains the world’s least attractive city for expatriates. Its low score (14.5) is due to the recurrent threat of attacks against people, multinational organisations, and government institutions in the area. Other poor-scoring cities for overall quality of life include Bangui in the Central African Republic (score 29), Brazzaville in Congo, and Khartoum in Sudan (29.5 and 31 respectively).

For further analysis of the Quality of Living Survey results, go to www.mercerhr.com/qol. Please log in to view the article. Please register for free if you are not already registered.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
416 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasons for liking this forum

Loved this forum before our Sept. trip and still love it.

For months beforehand, coffee mug by my side, this is the first thing I'd do each morning. I laughed at the humor, tried to contain my annoyance at times, added to my voluminous pile of notes and finally worked up enough courage to post my first question. Wish I'd kept count of the probably hundreds of pages I printed out.

Even though I stay out of the sometimes heated political and cultural discussions, I appreciate the fact that this forum is diverse enough to have them. There was only one post (fairly recent) that was so inflammatory, I couldn't help myself. Think I was the first person to shoot off an irate comment. My reaction must have been valid, since not too much later the entire post vanished into thin air without any indication that it had even existed!

I own numerous guidebooks (and couldn't fully operate without them). Even though the vast majority of info you see here can be found in books and by researching the internet, the books DON'T give you the personal touch, experienced people who are generous enough to share their time and knowledge. And where else would you have native French and Parisians giving their take on things? I found especially useful the discussions on the French and their approach to life, attitudes, etc. Made me somewhat aware of what to expect. As it turned out, there were no surprises because of this forum.

Now that I've been to Paris am trying to return the favor by sharing my first-hand experiences with those yet to go.

A big THANK YOU to all those who helped make our first (notice, I said FIRST) trip to Paris such a success!!

Bonnie