We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving across borders in Europe

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Driving across borders in Europe

Can anyone advise me if there is a rental car company that allows me to rent a vehicle and take the following:

Paris- marseille - ice - Tuscany -venice - Split Croatia - Ferry to Bari and then drop off in Rome??

What are the issues or what should I do to overcome this as multi rentals proably not easy?

Thank you

Greg (Australia)

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving across borders in Europe

You can probably rent one car but your drop off in another country fee will be quite expensive (it seems to be charged by the distance from original pick up to last or drop off country (in your case Paris-Rome)-

You would be better off doing one rental in France and another in Italy. If you are staying longer than three weeks you may be better off looking at a lease option; I am not sure if it would be cheaper, but it's worth a shot

jhg

2. Re: Driving across borders in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 October 2015, 15:57
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving across borders in Europe

The major rental companies all say "not allowed to take the vehicle in Eastern Europe" but I'm sure that the definition has to have changed some since 1990.

Renting in Paris this summer, twice I have been given cars with Italian licence plates (both times by Europcar), so clearly the international drop-off fees do not deter all renters.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving across borders in Europe

I should add that a rental company in Paris that could provide you a car with Italian plates would normally waive the drop-off fee for Italy, because it is in their interest to get the car back to Italy as soon as possible.

Back when I worked for Avis, there was a very complicated chart of how the different divisions of the company shared rental revenue. It was something along the lines of if you sent the car back to the country of origin within one week, your agency kept 100% of the revenue, if it took two weeks, you only got 50% of the revenue, etc. After two weeks, agencies were desperate to find somebody to take the car back to the other country.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving across borders in Europe

most cars we have rented have prohibited taking them to Eastern Europe and on ferries so you need to make sure that can be done.

a couple of years ago we picked up a car in Amsterdam and drove it into southern France and dropped it in Paris -- the drop fee was waived because it was a French car -- that saved us a big hunk of money

6. Re: Driving across borders in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2010, 07:17