We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time out or DK Eyewitness

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,777 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Time out or DK Eyewitness

Hi Leaving tommorow am,, and just finishing packing. I would like to pack one guidebook,, but which one. I have never brought one before( and I ve been to Paris multiple times) but I always wish I had one because you can easily look up the address of sites,, and the metro closest to it.. Both guides seem to do this.. so , anyone have any opinions on which one I should bring,, they are both about the same weight,., LOL

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time out or DK Eyewitness

Joan, I used the DK Eyewitness and loved it. There are some nice timed walks towards the back of the guide - nothing over a couple of hours and they really helped.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,684 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time out or DK Eyewitness

I'm totally biased but I love DK. As chris49 mentions, the guided walks are good (I especially enjoyed the Montmartre one). Have you considered the Eyewitness "Pocket Map & Guide"? I find a full guidebook too bulky/heavy to carry around all day and the PM&G has good, basic info, street map and métro map so works as a good aide-mémoire for me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time out or DK Eyewitness

Time Out is more useful for listings, bars, restaurants, shops etc. I like it because they are fairly compact in size and make a useful reference book. Its not so good for colourful pictures and cut away diagrams of cathedrals though..

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,283 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time out or DK Eyewitness

Hi, Joan -- from your posts here and on our other forum, I think you'll enjoy the DK Eyewitness guides and find them more helpful -- they give much more of the "back information" than most of the other guides, and the photos and diagrams are terrific.

I have a shelf full of DK guides for most of Europe, and the French one in particular is very, very good.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time out or DK Eyewitness

I really like the DK Eyewitness books. For me, they give a great overview of cities in particular, a bit of history and LOTS of good information. I look at my Paris guide almost every day and I always find sonmething new and interesting that I want to include in my next trip plan.

Enjoy your trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time out or DK Eyewitness

I vote for DK too. Have a great trip, Joan!!

We look forward to your trip report!

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time out or DK Eyewitness

Another vote for DK!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,777 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time out or DK Eyewitness

Leaving for airport in 5 minutes.. very excited. After looking at both guides again last night I did in fact decide to pack the DK one,, it just looked more interesting.!! So thanks everyone,, I am pleased to see how many of you agree,, so I did't just make a dumb 4 am panic choice! LOL

9. Re: Time out or DK Eyewitness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 07:18