We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

new jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

I'm trying to finalize my itinerary for my Europe trip. I'll be in Paris for 2 days..Is it worth it to go to Versailles on the second day, or should I stick to covering the major sightseeing places in Paris?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,172 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.70*
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

Unless an absolute MUST SEE, wait until another trip to Paris to take in the Chateau. At the least, it takes up a good part of a whole day. Save it for later. I waited 8 months after moving here to go...

Westside
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

I would agree, you have to decide if it is a 'must see' - have you always dreamed of seeing chateaux, what other cities are you going to see - so is it something really different.

I feel that travel has to be a bit like a diet ... you need variety, there are only so many art galleries, museums and canal tours that you can do. For some people walking round a market can be the most fun thing on a holiday, for others, the Moulin Rouge might be what they dreamed of.

In a nutshell, read a few reviews if you need inspiration and go to what you will enjoy most.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

My vote is to skip Versailles. With only two days, at the very least, half of one day would be taken up at Versailles, and that's with only a quickie cursory look at it. Not worth it with such limited time in Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

I would strongly recommend you stay in Paris where there is more than enough to fill 2 days.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

No need to see Versailles this time unless it is a lifelong dream (as is something like the Eiffel Tower for a lot of people).

You will be back, and Versailles will be waiting for you.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

with only two days I would not take one to go out of town to Versailles

2 days is nowhere near enough to see even a handful of great things in Paris -- but you work with what you have -- stick to Paris and leave Versailles for another trip

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

nope. I probably made 20 trips to Paris before I ever went to Versailles. Most of these trips were on the way back from other places so I was only in Paris for a couple of nights and found plenty to do. When I had a full 10 days I finally made it (and almost didnt due to a forceful childhood au pair scheduling my time without my input!)

If you've been there multiple times, maybe worth the trip - but I know I try to avoid a day of schlepping around on trains the day before the flight back. Not that its a schlep to Versailles from Paris, but it is a long day if you want to see a lot once you're there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

I ADORE Versailles. It is majestic and breathtaking. However, trying to fit that in during two says will be challenging since you will have to travel a bit to get there. There is so much to see in Paris proper that I would say skip until you have more days to spend in Paris.

new jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

thanks for all the great advice. it looks like i'll save versailles for my next trip :-)

10. Re: 2 days in paris - worth going to Versailles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 08:19