We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Passport Only, Right?

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Need Passport Only, Right?

hi, sorry to sound ignorant as i have never traveled overseas. what kind of documentation do i need at the airport, etc? i have a valid passport. is there anything else i need to know? do you need to get overseas health insurance? thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
179 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

As far as I know, only a passport.

Overseas health insurance is up to you.

I would make a color photocopy of the passport and carry only the photocopy with you outside of the airport. Inside, you'll need the original of course.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

A valid passport is all you need ( and maybe a visa depending on your country of origin but for that better look at the Embassy website.)

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

Assuming you are going to France or other EU countries, and are a US citizen, a passport is all you need. For other countries you will need to check specifically as others may require visas. Overseas health insurance is a personal choice. Your insurance coverage may not be valid in other countries.

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

yes, i am a US citizen and am only planning on staying for 6 days. so passport only it is! thank you so much!

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

if you are on medicare you need health travel insurance -- as medicare does not cover abroad (and dust off i.e. air ambulance if needed is about 50K)

if you have insurance through your job, it probably covers you abroad but you probably have to front the money and be reimbursed -- but you can check to see --

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

Don't go without travel insurance! mine only cover health problems within Canada and whenever I go to Seattle, even for a day, I get travel insurance. The company I deal with has cheap coverage for a weekend, a week or even a couple of weeks, but the peace of mind is priceless.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

When we travel abroad we scan a copy of our passports and drivers' licenses and then email them to ourselves on a hotmail or gmail account. Then if we need a copy or heaven forbid, lose something, voila, we have a ready made copy available. We've never had to use it but hey, it makes us feel more secure somehow..... :)

oprah44

Bayside, New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

i have oxford insurance. doesn't anyone know about that? i will call them anyway. where do you buy travel insurance anyway? any recommended sites? thanks!

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

I'd say it's best to call your insurance provider and find out. I was actually surprised to find out that I was covered internationally by mine.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Passport Only, Right?

glambert1554.

If you are an American citizen you will not need a visa to enter an EU country but immigration can refuse entry if they think you are planning to work etc.

The following article may be of interest.

dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/c…