We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I really hate to ask this but...

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
154 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
I really hate to ask this but...

My husband and I are very picky eaters. We are not fond of anything close to an exotic food or anything that has sauces or dressing on it (except pasta of course). I know that we are very boring eaters and should try new things; however we never stray too far from what is familiar to us. We don't even use mayo or mustard on sandwiches or dressing on salads. So this of course always makes me nervous when I travel. We do have to eat during the week that we are there. So what do we eat? We usually find a basic Italian restuarant in whatever country we are visiting so are there several in Paris? (We will be staying a few minutes from the Eiffel Tower.) Is it easy to get deli like sandwiches? Is deli turkey or roast chicken readily available? Thank you to anyone that is willing to give their advice. I guess I could survive off great bread, cheese and yummy desserts for a week if I had to :)

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

The majority of boulangeries offers really good sandwiches not really with turkey but with ham, ham and cheese, chicken. They use baguettes for the sandwiches, and it is really good. You can always try Lina's Sandwiches, a chain sandwich shop.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

We saw sandwiches being sold all over the place. There are bakery's selling salads and sandwiches. Of course the usual fast food places like Mc Donald's and Subway are very prevelant in Paris. We ofetn have our main meal at lunch time and then a salad or sandwich or bread and cheese for dinner. It is customary to eat dinner after 8 P.M and sometimes we are just too tired for that.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
350 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

Plenty of places that have "basic" foods, so you shouldn't have a problem at all.

Find a good Panini or a good Crepe and you'll be good for the week. Along with a nice vino of course!

Bear in mind that a deli sandwich, as you know it, piled high with meat, really doesn't exist.

You should go ahead and experiment. You'll find that most of the food in France is rather mild and very tasty. Not at all a spicy, put you off sort of thing.

Of course you can get by with nothing more than the great breads, cheeses and wines....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

You'll be fine.

Not everything to eat in Paris is exotic or smothered in sauce. ;^)

Most cafes that serve meals will have steak frites or poulet frites on the menu. A simple steak, chicken breast or leg and fries. No brains, organs or offal! ;^)

You'll almost always find a selection of omelets on menus as well.. not just for breakfast.

You'll come across many Sandwicheries and or Boulangeries where you can get sandwiches... usually pre made but you can see them behind glass to see if they are what you want.

It was really hot last month when we were in Paris. One night we were just too hot and tired to want to eat much and we'd had a big lunch anyway. On our way to a boulangerie where we'd bought lunch sandwiches one day previously we stopped at a cafe for a beer. I asked if I could get a sandwich but the waiter said they only did lunch. Another patron sat down and asked the same thing... okay said the waiter, we'll get some bread... what do you want?

So we all had jambon fromage and they just hot the spot.

And there is paste everywhere... in French it's "pate".

So not to worry... you'll eat just fine. ;^)

Rob

BTW... did you decide on the Ares? I see you're staying near the Eiffel Tower...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

Yikes!

That should have been "hit the spot"

and "pasta" not "paste everywhere" ... yuck!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

LOL Rob, I was about to comment. I don't think I'd be fond of paste, even in Paris.

As the others have said, you should have no problem.

Some of the best things I ate had very simple ingredients. Also, my favourite sandwich on my last trip was a baguette covered in sesame seeds, and it had slices of brie and crisp lettuce (available at Paul's which is a bakery chain).

Have fun!

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g187147-c26-Pari…

TA Reviews of Italian restaurants in Paris. Hope that helps. Many travelers are "nervous" about trying new things. Turn the nervousness into excitement if you can! Have a great trip.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

I am guessing a week of jambon beure sandwiches -- french bread with ham and butter - lots of butter -- I don't even like sandwiches but these are wonderful

you can get them in bakeries all over the city

and there are crepe stands where they make crepes to order with cheese, ham and such -- a godsend for lovers of the bland

roast chicken is available on most cafe menus and you can also buy rotiserie chicken

you can also just get a baguette and then get yummy cheeses at cheese shops

and of course yummy French pastries in every bakery

another classic french dish is steak frittes -- hanger steak and fries -- readily available and yummy

you might also try cassoulet which is basically a casserole of baked white beans with confit of duck, sausages etc -- very bland stuff and very tasty and huge servings --

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

Hardly any turkey to speak of. Club sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches and tuna sandwiches were available at most museum cafés.

Latin Quarter had a couple of basic Italian restaurants that also served very good pizza (Rim was the name of one of them - on Rue Saint Severin).

Sandwiches are everywhere - but they are not like American sandwiches (very plain, so you should like them).

Monoprix is a grocery store chain where you could easily buy bread and deli turkey, though.

I found roast chicken on menus in many places - it's great that all restaurants post their menus outside and tell you exactly what's in most dishes.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
154 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I really hate to ask this but...

Wow, such great responses. Thank you to everyone for your help and understanding. What would roast chicken be in French, does anyone know? That way I know what to look for on the menu. Also, would the chicken be a whole chicken, white or dark meat? Thank you again for everyone's help.