We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

Hi everyone,

I have found a nice hotel in Clichy which has excellent reviews on TA (hotel residence europe Clichy). It is 150 euros for two nights in a double room with breakfast.

I am on a very tight budget and can't afford anything priced much more than this. I can't seem to find a hotel that I am happy with inside Paris for this price. So does anyone have any recommendations?

Is Clichy too far or is it OK for someone who knows a bit of French and is happy to use the metro etc as long as she has a nice hotel to lay her head down at night.

Thanks

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
880 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

If you mean the area around Place de Clichy, then no, you are not to far out. From Pl de C, Montmartre is approx a 10 min stroll, in the opposite direction you are approx 5 mins to metro Rome and easily walkable to Opera, Grand Magasins etc. Clichy is not a bad area and backs onto Battinoles (spelling?)which is a nice neighbourhood far from the madding crowd.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

Hi,

Thanks for the response, however, where I am talking about is actually outside of Paris and is just called Clichy I think :-) it takes about 20ish mins to get into Paris via the metro of course depending on where you are going. I think because of my budget I can deal with the distance in order to stay in a nicer hotel in a nice area.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
896 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

Looks like metro ligne 13 stops there which is good. I have never been that far out so can't comment. You can use maps.google.com and put in the address and choose street view and walk around (virtually) the neighborhood...

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

Hi,

Thanks again for the advice. I had a look on street view- that tool really amazes me I could spend hours using it but maybe that is just me lol.

The area the hotel is in is really lovely and I think it would be OK to stay there. My only worry was that I would waste too much time on the metro because I am only in Paris for 2 nights 3 days.

Am I right in thinking I can get a 3 day pass for the metro for Zones 1-3 at approx 20 euros? In relation to the metros are there any problems with them being too busy and are there times which I should avoid or does it really matter?

I have stayed in Paris before but it was a long time ago and I didn't use the metro I always used taxis.

Adrian, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

Actually, I think the fact that you are only there for two nights will make the 30 or so minute commute into tourist central OK. If you were staying longer, I think the ride would get a little old, and you'd wish you were closer to those main sites that most visitors want to see, but since your visit will be so short and you'll only have to do the ride a few times, IMO, it won't be too bad. Line 13 is a really busy line, especially during rush hour times, but it isn't so awful that you'll want to avoid using it during those peak hours. The two biggest disadvantages are 1) the time you'll spend on the commute if you want to return to your hotel mid-day to refresh, relax or whatever, and 2) you'll miss the leisurely stroll back to your hotel after a wonderful evening dinner. But you can always map out a walk after dinner that will eventually get you to a metro stop somewhere that will connect to your trip home, so it isn't all bad. I think if you like the hotel and the price is right, you shouldn't have any reservations (no pun intended) about staying there for such a short time.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

As long as it's next to the metro station, no problem. After taking the metro, you'll know if you mind the travel time or not when you make a return trip.

When I was little, when my family would come to Paris, we stayed at my great aunt's place in Courbevoie (near Clichy). We never gave it a second thought that we had to take a commuter train 4 stations to get into the city and then take the metro from there.

But quite a few people seem incredibly spoiled and think it is a heresy if they are more than a 5 minute walk from their favorite attraction.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the help. I do think the hotel looks lovely and I won't mind the commute as we have a full itinery and don't plan on coming back and forward to the hotel more than twice or so a day.

Looking forward to my visit- 5th September!

Punta del Este
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

It sounds like a great find for that rate. After all, most people working in Paris leave in the suburbs and you'll be on vacation. You might not even have to go back to the hotel until ready to go to bed, there're lots of places in town where you can grab something to eat at reasonable prices. Have fun!

9. Re: Hotel in Clichy is it too far from central Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 05:21