We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

My daughter and I have about 12 hours in Paris...I have done all the touristy things. I need a good neighborhood to explore for a day with lunch, dinner and strolling - near a metro. Can you recommend a good hotel as well?

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

If you have been to Paris already, you know that everything is "near a metro", so that's not a factor. But for people watching, etc. you are not telling us when you are coming (now it's more "tourist watching" than anything else! ), what day of the week, etc. It would help.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
896 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

My favorite people watching places

Cafe Beaubourg

Cafe de Flores

What price range for the hotel ?

BourgTibourg.com in Le Marais would be my choice and wander throughout Le Marais.

London
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

What about Montparnasse in the 14th - Rue Mouffetard has a great produce market, you can start at the bottom - have lunch at the Les Caves de Bourgogne, neighbourhood bistro at 144 Rue Mouffetard overlooking the bottom corner of the market and the fountain. Good people watching. Then stroll up the rue through the market, the shops and restaurants for a coffee at the lovely little Place de la Contrescarpe in one of the cafes and bistros surrounding another fountain. If you need more strolling there's always the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens which is nearby. The area around Rue Daguerre is also very much a local neighbourhood with good bistros - Le Bistrot des Pingouins does a lovely and very reasonable lunch menu. Look out for the Tout L'Accordions shop opposite too - yep it just sells accordions, some of them very beautiful old collectors items...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
896 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

Yep, rue Mouffetard is a good place too.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

but just an fyi for newbies, Mouffetard isn't in Montparnasse...

Florida
Level Contributor
17,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

I like to get a drink or coffee at one of the sidewalk tables at Place du Tertre, in this case because it is so touristy - fun to watch people circling around the artists square.

Watch the tour buses unload at Cafe Esmeralda, behind Notre Dame.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

Au Père Tranquille on rue Pierre Lescot just outside the Forum des Halles underground shopping mall. It has the advantage of being in a pedestrian zone so you don't have to inhale fumes while you watch the world go by. Au Bon Pêcheur next door is good, too. Other reliable cafés in the area are Au Coeur Couronné across from the Fontaine des Innocents (it goes gay after dark, if that interests or worries you) and the interestingly named Au Père Fouettard (The Whipping Father) diagonally across from the Père Tranquille.

Just for information, the 'père fouettard' is a mean priest who accompanies Saint Nicolas (Santa Claus) on his rounds in December to punish bad children.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
896 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

Sounds like the beginnings of a good book! The guide to people watching cafes in Paris :)

London
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

Yep you got me travelnutty, Mouffetard's is in the 5th but I was thinking initially of Daguerre which is definitely in the 14th and I used to stroll over from my flat near port royal to Mouffetard as it was an old haunt of mine... apologies for confusing newbies...

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Neighborhood for cafes/people watching

One of the places we love as an interesting locale to see and experience Paris in the Cafe du Bourbon right in back of the Assemblies Nationale and lunch time is always bustling with interesting people. it's near a metro or two (assemblies nationals, solferino) and there is great shopping and strolling up Blvd,St Germain, Rue Universite, rue de Bac, blvd raspail, rue des sevres Grennelle, etc.

the Musee Rodin is right at the end of Rue de Bourgogne- great garden- if you haven't already been there, it's worth a stop. I think they still have a reduced rate for garden onlyif you just want a glass of wine in a beautiful setting.

Lots of fine restaurants in the neighborhood also. Rue de Bourgogne has a few (including Arpege(sp?)- if you have more money than you know what to do with - a wonderful experience though)There are three hotels on the -Montana, Varenne, Hotel du Palais Bourbon(where we usually stay in Paris).

We like this area because of its "neighborhoodness"; you can wander through the streets and get a good "Paris fix"

jhgrady