We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iphone apps in Paris without internet

Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
iphone apps in Paris without internet

I have been reading on availability of free wifi in Paris in certain places.

I have iphone but wont have 3G with it, so when I come to Paris, are there any apps relevant to Paris tour that I can run on iphone without internet?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
812 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

Read up on the Metro apps. I don't recall the exact name of it, but I downloaded one to my iPod touch that looks like it let's me plan out specific journeys even when I'm not using wifi.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

The MetrO app is what you're looking for:

http://nanika.net/Metro/

It's available for a variety of smartphones. I've downloaded it for my BlackBerry and plan on making good use of it in both Paris and London.

You also won't need an internet connection to use it on your phone - it downloads all the data to your phone.

Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

Thank you all.

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

There have been some pretty good threads on iPhone / iPod Touch apps, but it seems that no one has posted anything in while. And a really good thread at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k27436… just got closed because of no traffic in six months.

I'm getting ready for a May trip, and have just started looking at apps. I'm wondering if anyone has anything new to contribute re apps, especially ones that will work offline as I've got an iPod and may not always be around hotspots.

Merci!

Edited: 10 February 2010, 23:58
Pelican, Alaska
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

I really use the Metro Paris app and Musee Paris. Both use wifi for some small features, but they both work well without wifi or data input. My favorite app that also uses wifi for some minor features is Sweet Paris. It guides you to all the chocolate shops and ice cream shops.

By the way, don't miss a pilgrimage to the Apple Super Store right under the Louvre (close to the McDonalds de Louvre). Free fast wireless at the Apple store.

I would suggest signing up for a mobile data plan for the month that you are going to be here. AT&T sells 50 Mb for $59.99 mo. Great for using the map feature to locate yourself once in a while.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

I have downloaded apps for Metro Paris, Paris2Go (info on transportation, entertainment, food, history, etc.), Musee du Louvre, and a currency converter. I have no idea what I will end up using, but it's better to have too much info than not enough!

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

I've been using an iPhone in Paris pretty much every day for more than a year. Last night we returned from a 5 day visit to London where we discovered that there's almost no public (free) WIFI anymore. All the free WIFI we enjoyed a year ago has now been handed over to telecom companies who charge a fee for use.

The same thing is happening in Paris. The (briefly) ubiquitous WIFI points-of-presence are quickly being replaced by Orange, NEUF, etc. This makes relying on WIFI extremely difficult for iPhone users but less so for laptop users. Obviously useful everyday things like the Google Maps app become useless.

Buying data roaming packages is fine for email but you can burn through a 4mb limit in a single day just using google maps if you're on the move.

We have settled on a short list of truly useful and functional apps:

TomTom - "Western Europe" $89.95. It's a nearly fully functional TomTom sat-nav unit on an iPhone that doesn't require a connection to the web. It works everywhere in western Europe and is more accurate than the Garman (that we recently got rid of). We calculated that it's much cheaper than a data roaming package if, for example, you wanted to track your progress on a train trip from Paris to Bordeaux. You'd burn through a 4mb data roaming allocation less than half way there using Google Maps. This app is worth every penny of the price. An actual TomTom unit starts at more than $250 last time I checked and this app is at least 95% as functional.

Ultralingua - "Collins French dictionary" $9.99 We bought 4 different French dictionaries and we like this one the best. We use it every day.

Dimitris Rollidis - "Converted" $1.99 The best of the 4 converters we downloaded. Only the currency converter screen requires a web connection and if there isn't one, it uses the last rates it saw when you were last connected to the web.

Olive Toast Software "Files" allows you to transfer files (Excel, Word, almost any type of file) to the iPhone/Touch and view or even re-transfer it to another computer. We use it to take PDFs, scanned documents, etc with us, things like reservation confirmation documents, scans of credit cards and passport/visas, etc. It's also password protected in case you lose your phone.

SNCF "SNCF Direct" - Free Really useful for finding the nearest train station or basic route research if you venture out of Paris.

And of course the métro apps mentioned above. The RATP Métro/Bus app was pretty buggy in the beginning but we think it's the best of the lot.

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

Awesome post. Thank you very much.

New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

I just came back from a long weekend in Paris with my iPhone 3GS. I downloaded a few apps before leaving from home. My favorite apps were Smart Maps- Paris ($0.99), Zuti Paris Metro 09 ($0.99) and Paris 2Go ($0.99). Here's a brief overview of each.

Smart Maps - Paris

This is a searchable map that allows you to bookmark locations. Map is pretty detailed with Metro stations, attractions and some restaurants. I also downloaded Paris Maps Offline ($2.99) but that app does not have a search function or bookmarks and it costs more.

Zuti Paris Metro 09

For getting around on the Paris Metro, you can either use the map and select two stations to route or use the list of stations. Also has a "locate me" function but that only worked on WiFi. The routing is simulated on the map. I also tried the free MetrO (by Kineva) app which works fine if you just want text-based directions but I found some of the buttons a little small.

Paris 2Go

This is also a searchable map that works without a data connection. In addition it was pages of Wikipedia entries for some of the popular landmarks/attractions/historical. It also has a list of restaurants, cafes etc. Unlike the Smart Map app, this map didn't re-open to my last location so I would have to search again.

Quick note about GPS-

I used these apps on the "Orange F" and "F SFR" cellular networks (iPhone is set to automatically choose a network). The location was never pinpoint accurate but it was within a few blocks. I also noticed the apps worked better once I connected to WiFi in the hotel and then it worked fine relying on cellular locations afterwards. I made sure international data roaming was off.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
317 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iphone apps in Paris without internet

"I made sure international data roaming was off."

Is this all that needs to be done to ensure there are no data charges?